Steampunk Captured Heart Pendant

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by lensman, Nov 2, 2010.

1. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    So I came up with the idea of combining two materials (antique bronze finish and winter red SF) to create this pendant. Of course it cannot be ordered as one piece from Shapeways but I sell from my Blog and Etsy so that's where it will be going.

There is enough room to put a thin chain through the heart.

Now here's my bugaboo with any of the plated s/steel finishes here; this is not the first time it's happened: You can see pieces of "debris" were still attached to the metal before it was plated creating ugly mars on the surface. Luckily for the Steampunk look they don't detract but if I had wanted this smooth that would suck. I'm not ordering any more plated steel from here again, it's just too unreliable. At least if it's plain steel I can Dremel it away.

Glenn
    heart pendant 3 small.jpg

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  2. 352_deleted
    352_deleted Member
    Nice! It looks like the materials are offset from each other a little bit. Do they fit together rather snugly, or do you kind of need to hold them together for them to fit together well? Is your plan to have this as something that opens and closes, or do you plan on gluing it together?

Also, as these are different materials and sometimes one or another shrinks or expands slightly durring the manufacturing process due to different heat tolerances, are you finding that the different materials are the same size, or slightly different from each other?

3. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    All very good questions that I had before making this...

Yes, the materials did print at slightly different sizes; the s/s shrunk more than the SF. Also, the offset appearance is because the s/s did not print perfectly flat and has very slight warps - small, but at jewellery sizes they make a difference.

The pieces here are shown glued together so I cannot get them any tighter fitting than this, and no, it won't open and close.

I have to say, though, that these imperfections look far greater here than in real life where that aren't really noticeable unless you look close. It was the ugly metal bits not cleaned off that really annoyed me most (apart from the fact that this style isn't affected too much by them)

Glenn