Marvin the Martian fan art

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by 1083228_deleted, Feb 11, 2016.

1. ]Hey guys so im a 3d character artist and i've been modelling some of my favourite characters lately, and id quite like to have some of them printed. what id like to know is, if this would be infringing on any copy rights, as it is right now, without any wb branding etc, also i've never modelled anything for printing before so id also like some feedback on that, ideally id like it to sit at around 12 cm high. marv 4.jpg marv 2.jpg marv 1.jpg marv 3.jpg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  2. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    Nice work! You've got some thin areas for sure, the neck, legs, trigger guard, gun site... you're gunna want to beef those areas up for the 'print' version of the model. Far more challenging and well, time consuming will be making the whole thing a single manifold mesh. I rely on ZBrush and the DynaMesh & ZeReMesh for most of my retopolizatioins, sledom hand cutting and welding theese days. Shelling is another issue to consider. Study the materials specs and upload some test models so you can get a feel for the model checking tools, etc. -S

3. yea i was worried about those areas too! the model was done with sub d in c4d r16, i guess a few bits like the base could be a few separate pieces, its def gonna be a challenge to beef up those areas while trying to maintain the overall look.

4. Wahtah
    Wahtah Well-Known Member
    as to infringement: yes it is. leaving out WB or calling it fan art makes no difference. you copied it, they have the copyright, it's not rocket science :)

5. just wanted to clarify, as some sites differ on their policies regarding such things as fan art ect i.e the shop on this site for example that has several copyrighted figurines for sale.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  6. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    The trend now, including legal decisions opens up reinterpretations of © material. This is showing up on ZBrush central with Star Wars characters etc re-art directed. So if you can make your version, a substantially different piece then go for it! Make him punk, heavy metal, muscular, etc... there are still possibilities. -S

7. thanks for the advice bro, i was under the impression from what ive read you're able to 3d print anything you want for personal use, including copyrighted properties, and also that you are able to sell such items on a site like this for example until a request to remove it is made by the copyright holder.

i only really asked as i didn't want to go threw all the revisions etc to make it print ready to find out that due to copyrights i would be unable to have it printed,as i had a similar issue with devianart, but from what ive seen on the online store here that doesn't seem to be an issue. thanks for all your feedback im going to try upload it and see what the feedback is from the auto checker thingy.

8. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Seeing copyrighted material for sale here does not tell you anything about the legality - shapeways operate under the "safe harbor" concept of the DMCA, that is they do not proactively check for possible infringements but will remove models on the request of a copyright holder (who may still sue the offender). There have been several articles on the topic of "intellectual property" by shapeways' attorney Michael Weinberg
    on the blog recently.

9. thanks for this, ill make sure to take a look at those:)