Magnets for Combinatory Manufacturing

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by TerraCotta, Oct 16, 2010.

Combinatory Magnets

1. Yes, please!

2. No, not what Shapeways is about.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. TerraCotta
    TerraCotta Member
    I've been doing some neat things with magnets and steel prints, and thinking that having neodymium magnets as a combinatory manufacturing option that shipped with items would be the single most awesome way to expand the possibilities of combinatory manufacturing with Shapeways. They would, of course, have to cost something, but with a small magnet in a standard size us designers would only need to buy a couple of them to explore lots of different designs, while Shapeways could buy them in bulk and get a reasonably good rate. What do you guys think? Here are just a sampling of the things it would enable:

fridge magnets
    awesome desk toys
    pieces that pull apart and attach very intuitively
    levitated portions of models, pinpoint balanced, etc.
    when combined with plastic portions to provide electric insulation, 3D printed motors!
    etc....

what do people think?

sincerely,
    Jeff

2. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    Yes, please :)

I've also started experimenting with using magnets in designs, and it would be a great addition to have them included!

In the mean time I can recommend something like KJ magnetics, they have an awesome supply of magnets in all shapes and sizes.
    And some cheap surplus stuff too.

3. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
  4. pp
    pp Member
    Good idea's

I have been looking at this before.
    How would you see this happen. Just add magnets and the customers can assemble the products them selves or would you expect us to assemble the products?

Peter Paul

5. TerraCotta
    TerraCotta Member
    I would say the best way to pull this off is to implement the "printed instructions by seller sent with item to customer" already desperately needed for anything that requires assembly. Then, just toss them in the box in their original packaging and leave it up to the seller to make good instructions. Otherwise figuring out how to assemble everything at Shapeways would be too tough IMO.

6. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I would agree with TerraCotta.

7. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Packaging for magnets includes steel plates to trap stray magnetic fields and stop the magnetic fields from upsetting sensitive electronic equipment... also, health warnings should be included (personal injury, upset pacemakers and death due to ingestion, spring to mind)

8. TerraCotta
    TerraCotta Member
  9. That is so cool. :D

Andy

10. TerraCotta
    TerraCotta Member
    Only $35 customised and shipped :)