Mr. Robotman

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by chris89, Oct 15, 2010.

1. chris89
    chris89 Member
    **UPDATE**

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So i made a new model and got it printed. This time it's a robot.
    I've decided to have it printed in 20cm high White Detail and make a base for it myself (which i might get around to this weekend).
    I've also printed a smaller WSF version for fun and because it was cheap.
    some small parts on the White Detail version were broken off when it arrived, but i guess i was pushing the limits with the thickness.

I have to give shapeways some credits for getting that fragile model printed and cleaned! great job guys!!!

Some pictures.

white strong and flexible (15cm)
    [​IMG]

white detail (20cm)
    [​IMG]

close ups
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

unfortunately these 2 bits were broken, i guess during transport, the rest is fine.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

cheers

chris

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  2. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    Very cool design!

3. Really nice design - he's got lots of character! :D
    I take it you're planning to paint him up?

Andy

4. chris89
    chris89 Member
    thanks guys.
    I was planning on just giving him a coat of gray spraypaint to make him look a bit more like a maquette. However, i am very tempted to give this guy a nice paintjob.

First things first though, making a solid base and somehow attaching him to it.

5. chris89
    chris89 Member

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  6. chris89
    chris89 Member
    Not sure what happened to that previous post.. ah well.

Important step for finishing your model: Bluetack it to a steak and kidney pie! (contents still in there.. for added weight ;) )

[​IMG]

7. You know what? I reckon if you emptied out the tasty tasty contents and filled it with something else to weigh it down, that could make a nice little plinth base.

Andy

8. chris89
    chris89 Member
    That's the plan :D

Started sculpting.. man i need waaay more practise.. anyway work in progress images:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. jmw326
    jmw326 Member
    That is an awesome design. He needs friends now.

10. Sparlin
    Sparlin Member
    Fantastic! This is exactly what shapeways is perfect for!

11. chris89
    chris89 Member
    cheers guys.
    And yes he does need friends :( but i'm not sure if my wallet agrees.

update:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. That's some really nice sculpting there. :)

Andy

13. chris89
    chris89 Member
    Man, i can't believe how hard it is to find gray spray primer in guildford, UK.
    Finally found it though, at a shop that recently opened.

I have to say getting this thing cleaned was a nightmare. The support material from the printer is everywhere and without a waterjet it just turns into a gritty layer on your model. After a while i was a bit fed up so i decided to just start spraying the model
    The cold outside and from the paint did warp the model a bit. Therefore i had to resettle the right foot (as you can see in the picture, some bluetack had to be added).
    So i unloaded the Tamiya fine gray primer onto the white detail model. It makes the print lines very obvious, but nothing a couple more coats can't fix.
    It pulls out the shapes a lot, and now it finally looks like a proper model :) i'm very happy with it.

pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    This is a great project... What are you doing your modelling with for the base?

Glenn

15. chris89
    chris89 Member
    thanks.
    The base is a steak and kidney pie container and some supersculpey clay. As you can see i made some mistakes with the clay (temperature changes and rough handling) but it blends in very well with any surface you use it on.

16. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Oh, yes, recognised the pie tray, but that supersculpey clay I'm not familiar with. Yes, it does seem to blend in very well with the tray. I'd have worried that it would come off.

Glenn