Questions about Silver - Tarnishing?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Aquillyne, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Aquillyne
    Aquillyne Member
    Wow! Shapeways lets me print in Silver! This is amazing.

I have some questions:

1. Does the silver tarnish? Soon? How can you take care of it/clean it?

2. Can you print multi-part objects in silver? I have a model with 2 separated halves.

Thanks.

2. bartv
    bartv Member
    It's regular Sterling silver, so you'd take care of it like any other silver object (with Silver polish, I guess?)

Are they meant to be put together? I *think* that should be possible, but we haven't done any experiments with that so I can't offer you any design rules..

Bart

3. Aquillyne
    Aquillyne Member
    Thanks.

Big question:

Can I hollow the model to cut costs, in any way?

4. Aquillyne
    Aquillyne Member
    Oh and also - can I work on the model post-production e.g. file off sharp edges? Is that a bad idea? Thanks.

5. Aquillyne
    Aquillyne Member
    Any response anyone?

I am particularly interested in whether I can file off sharp edges once the model is printed (and then how I might be able to polish that off again).

Thanks.

6. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    it's weekend Aquillyne ;) shapeways people are resting from their hard work!
    monday you will get a response i think!

7. And since hardly anyone has Shapeways-printed silver items, staff are probably the only ones who'll be able to help.

Andy

8. 20201_deleted
    20201_deleted Member
    Why don't you simply design your piece without "sharp edges" in the first place? But yes, silver is a soft metal and will cut, file and polish easy as pie. Not at all like the SS material.

-G

9. Aquillyne
    Aquillyne Member
  10. roofoo
    roofoo Well-Known Member
    You'll save both time and money if you just model the beveled edges. Many of us have already given you lots of advice on how to do that in Blender.

11. Aquillyne
    Aquillyne Member
    I'm having a lot of difficulty. None of the solutions suggested (thank you for them) are working. I keep developing dents in the model when I bevel.

I want to print this item regardless, because it's a present. So I'm willing to use any solution that I can make work. That's why I'm asking here if I'd be able to file the model down. Thanks.

12. bitstoatoms
    bitstoatoms Member
    Hey there,

You can file, polish, post process the silver all you like.
    It is solid sterling silver.
    So as Bart mentioned you treat it like normal silver.

You cannot have multiple parts in the one file.

As per the design rules

https://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/design_rules_for_silver_3 d_printing

We are really looking forward to seeing the first batch of silver come through.

cheers

Duann