general questions about the cocreator

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 32142_deleted, Oct 6, 2010.

1. 32142_deleted
    32142_deleted Member
    I have some questions regarding the Cocreator which didn't get adressed by this info page:
    https://www.shapeways.com/co-creator_platform/how_to_join

Does re-designed cocreator models that one uploads remain stored?
    If so are they used automatically when a model with the same specifications is requested?
    Can I upload several sizes (for example say the three most probable sizes) before any consumer requests?

Regards,
    lukas

2. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hi Lukas,

I believe that you'll have to re-do the modeling if you receive an identical order (but what are the odds that that will happen?). The co-creator isn't really meant for objects that only have minor variations (like three sizes) - for those it's better to place regular objects in your shop.

Bart

3. 32142_deleted
    32142_deleted Member
    Thanks for the answer :)

>>The co-creator isn't really meant for objects that only have minor variations<<

Ah I see, so I'am looking for something different.
    Something like putting say ~ a dozen models under the same Modelpage.

I would like this because if the ringdiameter is the only Thing that I want to make customizable then
    there aren't that many configurations possible. With "only" 12 Ringsizes there would be a pretty good chance that a customer finds a fitting one. (If I would make a lot of seperate models this would maybe clutter the gallery pages with a dozen of the same design so I don't wanna do it.)

I guess you will say this wastes a lot of mamory, but it would be cummulative
    only if there are a lot of customers for some example ring R the whole 12 models would reside in your servers.

4. bartv
    bartv Member
    I'm not really concerned with memory on our servers, but more with your time. You can certainly offer the rings as a co-creator in this way though. Here are the pros and cons:

Offer rings in different sizes as a co-creator

Pro: less cluttered pages, and easier ordering for your customers (which is a BIG plus, in my opinion).

Pro: less work for you to maintain your shop page. For example: if you have a new photograph you'll only have to upload it once instead of 12 times.

Con: more work for you during the ordering process. Regular shop items don't require any action from your side, co-creators require you to upload the 'customised model' (even if it just comes from your library with different size models).

The 'Con' will outweigh the 'Pros' only when the number of orders is sufficiently high. For smaller numbers, I'd probably choose to make it a co-creator myself.

Bart