Galatean Dream for real

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by aws357, Sep 9, 2008.

1. aws357
    aws357 Member
    :eek: Look a the bust. Eh. The bust... well you understand what I mean :)

(don't mind the crappy keyboard on the background, it double as kitchen sometimes :blush: )

[​IMG]

So, the problem is : the very thin hairstrand didn't pass very well. Probably too small.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  2. robert
    robert Member
    I think it looks great. But I actually I like your model as well. :)

Model features or details only show up when they are 0.1mm in White Strong & Flexible. At all points the model needs be at least 0.25mm thick to insure the integrity of the model.

For anyone interested you can see the 3D model at https://www.shapeways.com/model/3672/galatean_dream.html

Cheers!

Robert

3. Whystler
    Whystler Member
    Hi Robert,

I'm confused by your details. Were they a typo?

I did get the impression that the detail is limited to .1 millimeters from other posts here.

But I was told that walls/thicknesses should be 2-3 millimeters thick. And you have written .25 millimeters thick. Was this a typo?

-Whystler

4. robert
    robert Member
    Hi Whystler,

No, it was not a typo. The subject is actually quite complicated. We need to make a tutorial on this.

With White Strong & Flexible you can build walls of 0.25mm thick. The problem they are not very strong. Just imagine two cubes of 2x2x2 cm connected together with a bar of 5 cm wide and 0.25x0.25 mm thick. If you pick it up it will most certainly break. Let alone that we have to ship it to you. That is the reason that the common statement is 2-3 mm.

Does that make sense?

Cheers!

Robert

5. Whystler
    Whystler Member

Ohhhhhhh kay, got it :)

The printer will not print walls thinner than .25 mm.

But if the printer prints walls smaller than 2mm, there is risk of breakage. If the printer prints walls as thin as .25 mm, breakage is pretty much assured .

Is that right?

-Whystler

6. robert
    robert Member
    Yes, you got! :)

Cheers!

Robert