Google Analytics for shop owners

Discussion in 'Shapeways Shops' started by robert, Sep 28, 2010.

1. robert
    robert Member
    Hey guys,

Since Google Analytics for shop owners is now working I am curious if you see interesting things?

Maybe a lot of visitors from Greenland? Or a lot traffic to a specific model? A blog post about your product as referrer you did not know about before?

- Robert

2. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Hey Robert

Interestingly most of my traffic comes from Google.. with the search keyword: "shapeways"...

I assume that's because i've used every trick on the book to promote my shop in the past year,
    you tube clips, forum S.E.O etc..

The N.Y Times article about Shapeways definitely brought traffic.
    Even though they wrote : "People using the service to print more than 10,000 products each month, ranging from iPad kitchen stands to jewelry ... " without a direct link to my shop - i can still see the referring URL in Google analytics...
    which by the way made some awesome sales of my Kitchen stand for iPad.

One single order was for 10 (!) stands then some more on the following days.

I also see traffic from dice collectors coming from Google and Kevin cook's dicecollector.com
    (shapeways page)

My 53 Dice designs also made some great sales.

Cheers,
    Dizingof

3. gibell
    gibell Well-Known Member
    I've got a 75% bounce rate in my GA report! :eek:
    How can that be?

4. robert
    robert Member
    Hey Dizingof,

Great you are selling a lot of Kitchen Ipad stands! Thanks for the feedback.

You see a lot of "shapeways" keyword searches coming from Google because people find it easier than to type www.shapeways.com. Odd ain't it?

Cheers!

Robert

5. robert
    robert Member
    Hi Gibell,

Not sure about the high bounce rate. It would imply you get a lot of visitors by "accident". What are your top referrers then? Maybe they bring the wrong people?

Thanks for the feedback!

Robert

6. gibell
    gibell Well-Known Member
    Ahh ... I thought bounce rate meant people had been unable to reach my shop. But sounds like not.

Traffic sources: google (organic) 34%, (direct) ((none)) 17%, VerticalResponse (Email) 14%, fastcodesign.com (referral) 3%, ...

I get only 58 visitors in 5 days, so I'm probably down in the noise. I don't promote my shop at all ... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  7. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    Some google analytics from my side:

Analytics is working since 22september and i've got 290visitors.

most used forms to get to my shop:

google (organic)
    83 28,62%
    (direct) ((none)) <-- direct is the name as going to my website www.spoorobjecten.nl which directs you directly to the shop
    79 27,24%
    n-spoorforum.nl (referral)
    36 12,41%
    forum.z-friends-europe.de (referral)
    35 12,07%
    VerticalResponse (Email)
    9 3,10%

like others said, most people use the word shapeways..
    funny, becaue if you type shapeways in google, you won't see my shop!
    but when you google: www.shapeways.com
    you'll see me shop on the 5th place!

so a top 5 searches:

shapeways 57 2,14 00:01:07 64,91% 71,93%
    3d printing 6 1,33 00:00:29 50,00% 66,67%
    spur z v-irm 3 5,33 00:08:21 0,00% 0,00%
    mitchell jetten 2 2,50 00:03:51 0,00% 50,00%
    1 160 n

8. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    Nothing special yet, but more traffic than I had expected.

Average of about 70 visitors per day since 23rd.

But top search key for my shop is also Shapeways.
    So I assume you see this when people "eventually" end up in your shop, after they accessed the main Shapeways site through Google.

I don't have any real campaigns at the moment, just a few side-gigs, which do show up nicely in the list :

My referrer stats :

google (organic) 38,46%
    (direct) ((none)) 24,48%
    pp3dp.com (referral) 4,66%
    facebook.com (referral) 3,96%
    VerticalResponse (Email) 3,26%

9. 30575_deleted
    30575_deleted Member
    Stats are working since 23. - 202 visitors

google (organic) 82 40,59 %
    (direct) ((none)) 67 33,17 %
    VerticalResponse (Email)15 7,43 %
    fastcodesign.com (referral)4 1,98 %
    bits.blogs.nytimes.com (referral)2 0,99 %

The problem with Analytics is that there seems to be no way to know the EXACT referrer URL. I mean blabla.com/pages/id/article.php . I have maybe completely overlooked something very basical! –please correct me if I'm wrong.

The most referrers I see are not related to my objects. I think most visitors on these statistics came on Shapeways following a link about Shapeways and are simply browsing through the Shapeways gallery.

10. robert
    robert Member
    The way Google Analytics is setup now is that you actually see how people enter shapeways.com and then enter your shop.

That is the reason you see the keywords "shapeways" and "3D printing" so often.

I can look into how we can limit this to your shop only so that you can actually see how people enter YOUR shop and shapeways.com as a whole (and then end up at your shop).

- Robert

11. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    That would be great as we really need to know the exact referring urls / source of the traffic / keywords / for OUR shop.

Since Sept. 22nd i received 1275 visitors , 40% from Google..
    but now i know i cant take any credit for that until i see the exact referring urls/keywords.

12. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    dizinof,

wow! a lot of visitors! maybe a stupid/privacy question,

but from those1275visitors, you got a lot people who did actually buy something from your shop?

13. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    You have your answer at the second post above :cool:

14. jasolo
    jasolo Member
    The only referral that I know that it has a link to my shop (a forum) appears without the parameters associated with the post. :confused

The other referrals are "indirect" because they don't talk about my models:

https://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/23/shapeways-and-its-3 -d-printing-comes-to-new-york/
    There is a link to Shapeways gallery.

https://www.craftosterone.com/2010/09/3-d-printed-stainless-s teel-my-first.html
    It has a Youtube video of another model, so probably my own movie was in the related videos list that appears at the end.

https://fablab.nl/articles/2008/07/22/shapeways-online-dienst -voor-rapid-prototyping
    Again there is a Youtube video. There is also a Shapeways link, but I don't have any model promoted in the main page.

15. woody64
    woody64 Well-Known Member
    Interesting topic since I've tried to analyze the results recently.

Sources:
    % Besuche
    (direct) ((none)) 23,75 %
    google (organic) 21,00 %
    flickr.com (referral) 8,75 %
    facebook.com (referral) 7,50 %
    forum.modellfiguren-online.de (referral) 6,75 %
    classic-pirates.com / referral

Three standard accounts flickr, facebook and eurobricks where I publish stories and pictures result in the major part of traffic.
    :- these places inform known customers about news and bring them back to the side

One forum I've posted a story in, brought also new visitors.
    :- that addresses completly new visitors

There are more then 28 countries visiting the side with a majority in the US. That strongly encourages a new production place in US. Ecspecially since the taxes topic for incoming goods is then solved easily.

Woody64

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  16. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member

Number 7 referring URL ... (drums... )

7. michielcornelissen.com / referral

Obviously Michiel the designer of the PadFoot for iPad didn't put a link on his website to MY Stand for iPad

So i can only assume - (quality) traffic arriving from his website to shapeways to check out his PadFoot also checked out my Stand for iPad ... and most likely generated ricochet sales.

So, actual referring URLs is a tweak we really need on Google Analytics reports.

Thanks
    Dizingof