Availability options

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jvo, Sep 26, 2010.

Option combination

1. Keep as it is

2. Combine options

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. jvo
    jvo Member

I want to suggest to combine these two options:
    1a. Only for myself
    1b. Available to all
    2a. Show only
    2b. Show and allow ordering

Into:
    3a. Private
    3b. Public, show only
    3c. Public, show and allow ordering

The current option set allows 2x2=4 different settings, but with only 3 unique results. That's why I propose to merge them into a single option with 3 settings. Besides that it's a little confusing that while you select "Only for myself" you still have to choose whether you just want to show your model to everybody or whether you want to show it and allow ordering.

Besides that, I always want to check the printed model myself before I allow ordering. Just to make sure things work the way they should. Right now the option defaults when uploading are to show and allow ordering. I understand this helps filling the public model database, but up to now I have always selected private mode when uploading. And this seems a more logical default value to me.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  2. jvo
    jvo Member

A little poll on the default option when uploading a new model.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  3. bartv
    bartv Member
    Yes, I guess we could improve that a bit. You did miss an option though: 'hidden' - with this option you'll generate a 'private' URL for your model that you can send to your client, so that only he or she can order the model. It won't show up in any gallery or search.

I've forwarded your suggestion, thanks!

Bart

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Also the option of model availability. If you could combine it into one set of options, perhaps check boxes.

5. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    The current options don't seem very clear..
    And they don't allow a "hidden" but not orderable model.

How about a slight adjustment, the select box:

private (only me)
    hidden (direct link)
    public (listed in galleries)
    section (only list model in shop section if defined)

And two checkboxes:
    [ ] orderable
    [ ] downloadable

Cheers,

Stijn

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  6. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Why do we need private and hidden? How about one, with a url. It's private until you share that url.

7. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    You might wish to update a private model and not want a customer with the secret link accessing it.

8. artificial
    artificial Member
    I am confused by what the "available to all" check box means under Model availability. If I check it then what? If it's not checked, but I've chosen show and allow ordering, then what's the difference?

9. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
    a. Private
    b. Hidden, need URL, and is order able
    c. Public, show only
    d. Public, show and allow ordering

I think it would get to much if we spit b into 2. If hidden it is always order able. anyone you give URL to should know better then to order if there is a note in description saying(WARNING NOT TESTED)

A tested in box would be a nice informative option to let customers know if you have tested it or not. This being completely to the discretion of the shop. It shows tested if you select it, it shows nothing if you don't.

10. 59181_deleted
    59181_deleted Member
    Hi, I'm new here and also a little confused.

Could someone please confirm that if I set Model Availability to ''Only for Myself" then nobody else can view my model, even if I set Model View State to "Show and Allow Ordering"?

Does the 'view of this product' count = my own views or does this show that someone else has viewed it?

Also, if I change the Model View State to "Hidden' then the price of the product appears on the My Designs page. Why is this? It's still hidden right?

11. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
    page view has no memmory and will count you every time you click on it.