Gold Art Deco Brooch

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Inlite, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Inlite
    Inlite Member
    I received the print of my art deco brooch today!

https://www.shapeways.com/model/149440/louis_hay_brooch.html? gid=ug23490

It is a model of a facade decoration for our local museum originally drawn by a local architect in the 1930s. The actual facade was made as a simpler design so I thought Id make the more detailed version.

Original Drawing
    Cropped blueprint.jpg

My model rendered
    museum brooch shapeways.jpg

And, the print from shapeways
    Louis hay brooch.jpg

I think the print lost a certain amount of detail when it was smoothed for the polished gold effect but Im very happy with it! :D

2. Whystler
    Whystler Member
    Congrats on a great , almost scrumptious piece! :)

-Whystler

3. Inlite
    Inlite Member
    Thanks Whystler! It took a lot of tweaks to get it printable and it weighs a ton but my wife likes it and thats the main thing :D I actually modeled the entire doorway in the frst place so maybe Ill work on making that printable as a desk decoration. theres no shortage of art deco in my town as we had an earthquake in 1931 and everything was rebult in that style

4. Stunning. I like a bit of Art Deco - there are certainly worse styles to build a town in! ;)

Andy

5. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Very nice. Could I ask if you actually have a pin/clasp on the back and if so how you secured it?

Glenn

6. chris89
    chris89 Member
    lovely, it came out very well. And gold is the perfect material to have this in.

I wonder though, isn't it pretty heavy?

7. Inlite
    Inlite Member
    @ lensman, I secured a pin on the back with epoxy as I wasnt sure about soldering on top of the gold plate, its held up well so far.

@Chris89, I havent weighed it but yes it is heavy, less a brooch for a dress or shirt and more a brooch for a jacket or something with a little bit of stiffness to it.

Thanks for the comments!