Interlinked Stars in Voroni + Video

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by froland, Sep 9, 2010.

1. froland
    froland Member
    Hi!

Interlinked stars arrived! It's an interlinked stars sphere made with Topmod and then covered with a double layer of Voroni. That saves material and makes the ball extremely flexible. It can easily be squished. Haven't tried it to the break point yet.

Unfortunatelly, I printed it slightly too small, so some links didn't come out that well, but overall structure is fine.

Also, I played around a bit with video cutting and made this small clip of voroniRunner and neuroDodec:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0eS4Z2Mk7o

Attached Files:

2. Whystler
    Whystler Member
    Very nicely intricate! Now what exactly is a voroni?

-Whystler

3. I assume it refers to a Voronoi diagram.

I particularly like the Runner myself.

Andy

4. bitstoatoms
    bitstoatoms Member
    Thanks, Whystler. Yes, it does refer to a Voroni diagramm.

Basically, the Voroni diagramm consists of lines that seperate e.g. two points exactly in the middle. I think this interactive 2D applet demonstrates the idea quite nicely.

For the interlinked stars, I use random points on the 3D surface from which the structure is then generated.

Andy, thanks. I'm actually thinking about making a version of the voroniRunner with more balls inside the Voroni cage for an enhanced "rainstick" effect.

Also, I'll try to make a lamp out of the interlinked stars. I'll let you know how it looks.

Glad you guys liked it.
    Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2010
  5. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    I could never get TopMod to make exactly the shape I wanted. Useful for playing around with and coming up with random shapes though. Obviously you don't have that problem. :)

Glenn

6. bartv
    bartv Member
    Weird! Thanks for reporting, I'll ask our team to look into this.

Cheers,

Bart