Photo reliefs

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by 35824_deleted, Sep 9, 2010.

1. 35824_deleted
    35824_deleted Member
    After quite some experimentation and testing, we are now able to show you this new Co-Creator item.

The Co-Creator takes a single, reasonable portrait picture of people or animals and we will convert it into a 3D photo-relief.
    The color sandstone prints come in standard photo formats and can be put onto an ordinary photo frame.

Beatrix 006.jpg
    Cat 005.jpg
    Einstein 006.jpg

One of the biggest obstacles in the process was to produce VRML files that Shapeways will digest properly.
    The usual Meshlab this, Netfabb that did not get us very far ...

We would love to make these items cheaper if somebody could convince Shapeways to lessen their material specs on color sandstone.

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Is it hollow in the back, or is it thicker where it is raised? if you could make it uniform thickness would cut some cost. I have that pic of Einstein up on my wall. Along with 2 other great minds, Tesla, and DaVinci

3. pp
    pp Member
    Very nice!!!

How did you do it?

If you're ready we can take of our version and promote yours

Just let me know ;)

gr Peter Paul

4. bitstoatoms
    bitstoatoms Member
    WOW,

They are really impressive.

What is the maximum depth?

5. 35824_deleted
    35824_deleted Member
    Thanks for featuring this so quickly.

The 3D conversion is actually a manual design step, the overall process is fairly complex with several tools involved.

The reliefs are hollow in the back and tight to the color sandstone specs. At this time, we cannot go any closer without the risk of a rejected order.

bg.jpg

A 13x9 picture will usually be about 3 cm thick, possibly a little more depending on the motif.

6. roofoo
    roofoo Well-Known Member
    I don't know if you are aware of this software, Photosculpt, but it lets you take 2 photos, 10-20º apart, and automatically creates a textured 3D model. That could make more realistic photo reliefs than just using the one photo. Just a thought.

7. jeff
    jeff Member
    Very cool. I'm scared to ask how long the manual part takes. What's the depth? Does it depend on the pic or do you have a set depth for the closest point to the camera?

8. Whystler
    Whystler Member
    Ok, this is just freaky. I like it! And I think it will do as well as Shapeways light photos!

-Whystler

9. 35824_deleted
    35824_deleted Member
    We are aware of such software solutions. While we were not overly impressed by the results, the more important question is really:
    [list type=circle][*] How would you manage to get such photos from Einstein or the Dutch queen ?[/list]
    On the serious side:
    Chances are high that you have a suitable snapshot from your wedding (20 years ago), your kids, your grandfather, etc., but it's unlikely that you have -or can produce- pictures which would satisfy the requirements of the software...

Here is another one to illustrate my point (faces pixelated to protect the customer)
    m rendered.jpg

10. Or even the cat, for that matter - it's hard enough getting it to stay stll for one photo... :p

Andy

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  11. roofoo
    roofoo Well-Known Member
    Good point. But for the cat, just use 2 cameras! :laughing:

12. Whystler
    Whystler Member
    exactly ... I know I've seen someone who made a stereoscopic camera connector as a 3d printed object. Perhaps someone will, or has already made a similar object for connecting cameras to make this sort of thing.

-Whystler

13. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Great work.

Now if only Shapeways White was White and not yellowish.

I hate to mention it again.. but i suspect the infusion process kills the white in the full color 3D printing.

For an actual photo printing, in my opinion, white must remain white otherwise the picture looks dim with somewhat an 'old photo' tint.

I wish there was a way perhaps to order a full color print without the infusion process.
    Few coats of clear epoxy spray did a great job for me on my Coasters of iPhone Apps.

The colors became more shiny and vibrant and the coaster is very tough (dropped it from 1.5 M and it didn't break)

Just my (humble) 2c ;)

Cheers,
    Dizingof

14. Is it the infusion process, or is it just the base tint of the gypsum?

Andy

15. GHP
    GHP Member
    I've been wondering if absolutely white areas of the print (RGB=<255,255,255>) are not tinted at all, leaving the just base material color? If so, it may help to replace absolute white with off-white (e.g. RGB=<254,254,254>).

This is pure speculation on my part, however.

(Edit: comparison of the printed 3D relief cat with the photo suggests that this is probably not the case.)

16. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member