Default Material

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by clsn, Aug 25, 2010.

1. clsn
    clsn Well-Known Member
    It might be nice to be able to set a "Default" material for a model without necessarily making it unavailable in anything else. Sort of a suggestion for what material to use, even though other options are available. What do you think?

2. I like this idea. So you can, for instance, have a model geared to be printed in Detail material, and that's marked as the default price next to the description, but buyers can still get it in Strong Flexible if they want. Nice, and makes some sense.

Andy

3. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    Ah, I'm not the only one ;)

I second this, would be very useful!

4. huan80
    huan80 Member
    I agree that this would be really nice.

5. 32142_deleted
    32142_deleted Member
    Yes I agree; good Idea.
    It was on my list too, just did't bother to post it.

Specifically I have thought about following:
    If you have a photo of a steel print as advertise picture and also allow printing W-S&F then the WS&F price will be viewed below the steel picture in the galleries. This could be interpreted as an intent to fool customers to look at the product detail page. (unfair marketing strategy).

At the moment this probably affects only models where one don't add a markup.
    In other cases one wants to upload a second model anyway because there is no feature for material dependend markup yet. (a related feature request)

6. woody64
    woody64 Well-Known Member
    I also would strongly encourage that. Additionally the price of the default material can be shown, what's normally also in the shop's owner interest.

Woody64

7. TerraCotta
    TerraCotta Member
    Add my vote to this idea for sure! I would love to be able to choose the default material but allow others, especially cheaper ones, without confusing the customer.

8. HerndonDesign
    HerndonDesign Member
    Throw my vote in for default materials as well! To be honest, I'm kind of surprised that wasn't an option from the get go :)

9. bartv
    bartv Member
    This feature is on our whishlist now, thanks!

Bart

10. I support this one too. Particularly an issue with two new materials (Frosted Detail and Frosted Ultra Detail).

Ultra Detail costs almost double what regular Detail does, but always supercedes it as the "default" material if both are available. To make my pricing attractive, I'm being forced to not offer the Ultra option! (Perhaps for this particular issue, you might consider simply switching the two so the cheaper one gets priority? Just a thought.)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011