Greetings from South Arfica

Discussion in 'Newcomers Lounge' started by Stoneheart, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Stoneheart
    Stoneheart Member
    Hi to all Shapeways users,
    My name's Phil, and I live in South Africa.
    I'm a life long artist, Im currently using Blender for most of my artwork. I have been using Blender for about 4 years.
    By profession I'm a Patternmaker. I have 30 years of real life model making experience.
    I'm hopeing to explore 3D printing as an artist and a Patternmaker, and should have some models up for you to see soon.
    I wish you all the best with your endevers and hope we get to chat soon.
    Phil

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Phil,

Can't wait to see what you can make up for us.

Welcome,
    Mike

3. dapeeza
    dapeeza Member
    Hi Phil,
    Welcome to shapeways. I'm a Mechanical Engineer / Designer living in Nigeria. Its nice to know about a fellow shaper from africa. :D
    Cheers

4. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hi Phil,

welcome! Okay, I just have to ask: what does a Patternmaker do?

Cheers,

Bart

5. bitstoatoms
    bitstoatoms Member
    Welcome Phil!

Bart, they make patterns. :p

6. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    They create shapes, and other related things like sprues, that are used in mold making and casting, so the final part is what was desired: not too small, too big, impossible to fill properly with the molten metal and so on.

7. Stoneheart
    Stoneheart Member
    Bart, Patterns are used as part of the foundy process used to produce cast metal parts.
    Look at a car engine block or exhaust manifold. These parts were made by melting metal and pouring it into sand moulds.
    Patterns are used to form the sand moulds so that each casting is the correct shape and size. How the meatal gets into the mould also needs to be considered as part of the whole process. Work is almost always to an engineers drawing of the part, suplied by the customer.
    Foundries use sand with bonding properties to form the mould. When the metal has solidified and cooled the sand is washed away and recycled.
    The main concern of the patternmaker are size changes due to contraction of the solid metal as it cools, how the mould will be formed, and the production of pattern equipment to produce the sand moulds.
    Patternmaking also branches into other industries where a knowledge of moulding principals and model production are needed, eg fiberglass and diemaking.