Looking for someone who can create + print + send a little model of a dog (EU - Belgium)

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by 1004565_deleted, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Edit: Thank you for all the great offers, I've found a 3D modeler now :)

Hello,

I'm looking for what the title says! :) I've attached a photo of the type of dog I want 3D-modelled, but I'll send a photo later of his dog specifically if I can afford it. It does not have to be super detailed, I just want him to be recognizable. For now I'd like an estimate of the price, because I really have no idea how much something like this costs.
    I imagined that the figure would be the size of a clenched fist or smaller, nothing big :)

Thank you!
    Foto08A.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  2. Hello
    What a cutie ;-)

I myself could probably only model a flat pendant shape of your dog. I did a dog pendant model for my Jewellery course last year. If it was in plastic I could print and post it for £25, including a fine silver trace chain to make it into a necklace, or £20 without the chain. If it was in a metal such as raw brass ( a really nice looks like gold metal) I would have to check what shapeways would be charging me and update you.

Anyway, check out my shop to see if you like my designs, Im doing an HND in Jewellery so Im learning CAD as part of my course.

Thankyou,

Paula Hutchinson

3. Nadia_Khuzina
    Nadia_Khuzina Member
    The fluffy hair makes things difficult, and you will probably need to iterate a few times to improve. If it is a 3D model for a game, the hair can be done a few ways, but 3D printing in sandstone will need an artistic touch. On the positive side, all that hair makes sculpting the muscular anatomy less difficult.

The man hours for this project are probably around 40-60 for something I'd be be proud of. Multiply by $35-120 hourly for a general cost. The skill required for something you would be happy with sounds like on the lower end of this range, but quality really is dependent on skill level and experience. Many artists will do this with a per-project price too, but someone decent will run you at least $6-800. Also keep in mind that scale doesn't really affect cost. It is vector and can be scaled up easily with good topology. Painting (texturing) in higher resolution for something huge would only add a little bit of cost as well.

There are a lot of artists on the forum willing to do work for $10 an hour, and if you are easily satisfied this might be the way to go too, but nobody good would ever charge so little. A lot of sculptors have no idea how to paint texture and vice versa. Good help is definitely hard to find, and you mostly get what you pay for.

Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  4. grogbro
    grogbro Member
    I could do that for you. You can see my portfolio at www.gregbreault.com and also my shop here on shapeways. I would do a quick 3d model of the base dog, then tweak and edit it in Zbrush for details etc.

5. and do you have any idea of the cost~? :)

6. grogbro
    grogbro Member
    I will shoot you a message ;)

7. grogbro
    grogbro Member
    I would have to disagree that no one 'good' would do this for a lower cost. Many artists I know that are incredibly talented just want to help out and keep costs as low as they can.

8. Andrewsimonthomas
    Andrewsimonthomas Well-Known Member
    Hey Guys, I'm going to hop in here and ask that you don't discuss your prices publicly. Please negotiate using private messaging. Thanks.

9. grogbro
    grogbro Member
    Omg omg! It's chris pratt!

Ohhh, wait a minute that's not chris pratt! :)

I don't think I mentioned pricing for anything. But, I have been wrong many, many times before.

10. Nadia_Khuzina
    Nadia_Khuzina Member
    I speak from the standpoint of someone who contracts a lot of freelance workers. I think it's rather important people get an idea of the range of cost, and any issues related to commissioning something. I think discussing cost is extremely relevant for people trying to get something created. Pointing out the correlation between cost, time spent, and quality is something very important in 3D art. You don't always get more for spending more, but you always get less if you try to go for the cheapest solution. It just depends on the problem you are trying to solve.

In this case there are multiple ways to solve the OP's request. If you want to make a frosted detailed piece to paint physically it is going to take much more time than making a blob and faking the hair in one day. It's also going to be hard to find someone who understands both sculpting and texturing well. The skills develop differently. That's why companies creating characters and other artistic assets have a pipeline of work. One person will always take longer to sculpt/retopologize, texture, rig, blendshape, animate, score, render, and edit. These are all different skills. In 3D printing you only need the first two, but it still beyond the skills of most on this site to do well. If it were easy, Apple wouldn't have put out a desperate call for 3D artists. Talent runs thin in this space these days, but pirate software and the basements of parents in Eastern Europe run deep. :)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  11. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    Well said Nadia, I agree with you it is a good thing to raise understanding and standards. I also like that the for hire and artist needed sections are like the wild west, no rules anything goes survival of the fittest. It's democratized design anyone should be encouraged to take part and learn.
    Vijay

12. Sabaku_Ika
    Sabaku_Ika Well-Known Member
    Sending a PM.

13. 339108_deleted
    339108_deleted Active Member
    I have to agree with both of these. While I don't agree with Nadia's assessment of what's required to make this particular piece because sculpting and texturing are both pretty required skills these days to get pretty much any 3d modeling/generalist job, and sculpting this particular dog with stylized hair can be done in 1-2 days if you are a good sculptor, I absolutely agree that raising understanding and standards is absolutely necessary.

I think the slew of "I'll do this for $3!!!" posts have really lowered the quality of clients on this forum. I also think this is not the thread to discuss it because the OP hasn't asked for anything unreasonable as she hasn't given a price.

THAT BEING SAID, sorry to disrupt the OP's thread :p she is just looking for a cool dog print. She's also asking for a sculpt for printing, not a game character that requires retopo or rigging or blendshapes. This is just a matter of sculpting a dog from reference photos and prepping for print.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015