Modeler needed to add patterned feature to existing STL

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by monkey540, Nov 27, 2015.

1. monkey540
    monkey540 Member
    Hey there,

I am looking for someone to help me out with adding a pattern to my existing STL. I am not able to re-produce this feature in my modelling software so I'm looking for someone else to possibly do it for me.

12095144_10153783818338343_5703955466509327735_o.jpg

The right is my modeled file and I need the Diamond pattern added to the surface of the file.

My budget is about $20, please let me know.

Thanks.

2. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    BTW - STL files are not ideal for editing, even those coming from higher order surfacing tools (nurbs) are often decimated and/or export with long thin triangles that do not cut or boolean well. If it were my problem I would retopologize in ZBrush to 20 million (or so) polygons, mask out the grip area, displace with the diamond pattern and prepare for output. Not a 20 minute project (more like a day), but not impossible. Good luck!

-S

3. monkey540
    monkey540 Member
    I do my modelling in solidworks, so I have the file in that format, but otherwise, I don't have any 3D editing software :(

4. Shea_Design
    Just asked my SWX guy and he says U can do a pattern from a single diamond, but not easy on a curved surface. So he would go to Rhino. I can look at it for you if you want.

-S

5. HOLDEN8702
    HOLDEN8702 Well-Known Member
    Hi.

If I had to do that, I would do the diamond pattern separately (can be perfectly done in solidworks, I work with inventor and both software are very similar), and finally would mix all the .stl files importing them in blender. Then you can export it to .stl again.

Good luck

Luis

6. Shea_Design
    Just to update the thread my SWX guy donated this example. IGES sent via PM. -S

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  7. monkey540
    monkey540 Member
    Thanks again for that, this feature is turning out to be more complicated than I thought.

8. www.pixelviewstudios.net

PixelView Studios is a small group of people with experience on all fields. Whether it's:
    • 3D
    • Animation
    • C# custom scripting
    • Programming
    • 2D illustrative work
    • Sketches
    • Design (conceptual, game level/design, logo)
    We've got you covered. You don't need to hire the whole team if you're only looking for one or a few things to get done.
    On a budget? Low or high it doesn't matter. We'll work out every detail with you so you can get the most out of every penny spent.
    Have a long term plan for your project but you can't finance it monthly? Not a problem. We'll get as much work in as you can afford and when you're ready to pick it back up just send us another email and we'll start where we left off. Even if you decided to progress on your own we can pick up wherever you'd like us to or hop onboard with your project for that extra man power.
    Come check out our gallery where we're always posting new stuff.
    http://www.pixelviewstudios.net/gallery.html
    If you're ready to take your project to the next level send us a PM or email us at:
    pvdev@pixelviewstudios.net
    We look forward to hearing from you and working with you to make your projects the best they can be.

9. Shea_Design
    I should have noted he did it in Rhino. Then I asked him how is it going to become manifold and he has been at it for hours, trying to solve the puzzle just for his own satisfaction.