Preview's Colors are Washed Out

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by nirvager, Nov 26, 2015.

1. nirvager
    nirvager Member
    When I see the previews for my 3d model (in the edit model page), it's super washed out. When I see the image generated 3d previews (the ones on your product page that your customers can view and rotate about), my model is not as washed out but, still washed out compared to the colors I'm getting in Blender when I am in render view mode. Note that in blender I have made my material 'shadeless' so I can see the texture's true color without needing lights/lamps in my scene. My question is, are the previews lying and my model will print much less washed out? or do I need to edit the .jpg file for increased saturation/contrast ( if this can be "easily" done in blender please let me know, although I played with the nodes stuff for increasing saturation and was not getting things to happen, noob problems... so editing the .jpg is most likely the way to go. So, which is this case at hand? I looked at other peoples' FCS previews and they have way more color/saturation than mine. Am I answering my own question? lol well, I'm going to keep playing around with the settings, any help is appreciated :)

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Try with an x3d viewer such as view3dscene. My guess is your file uses both the intended texture and some white or light gray object color, which add up to give a washed-out texture. (You could use a text editor to look for any Material definitions in the file - from your description their
    should only be an ImageTexture node, but it probably has entries for diffuseColor etc. as well)

3. Could it be possible that the material in Blender is set to "shadeless" before exporting?
    I've had that once, and for my life could not figure out why my model, which was very vibrantly textured, looked so washed out in Shapeways' preview... until I exported it with the material NOT set to "shadeless".
    In other words, the "shadeless" setting, which is often helpful while modeling or setting up a scene, is absolutely NOT helpful when exporting the object because that particular setting does "something" during the export to make the colors look washed out.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  4. nirvager
    nirvager Member
    Hmm could be, i'll take a look and search for those key words

5. nirvager
    nirvager Member
    So it looks less washed out wjen the 'shadeless' box is un-checked but, it still is generally washed out. What are the boxes/settings you all make sure to have checked/unchecked/set before exporting?