Need Help on STL file over 64MB

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by Glowtrits, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Glowtrits
    Glowtrits Member
    Hi all,

Recently I tried to upload a STL file over 64mb, and unable to do so due to over the size limit.

And I posted a form here earlier to seek help. Nice users here, suggesting that to reduce the polygons so that it can meet the 64MB max file to upload.

A good and senior user here helped me to reduce the file, and i tried uploading the model. It uploaded successfully but unable to get the model to work as having issues on all materials. I saw the issue is on the wall thickness of the model.

This is a desktop standing model of a peacock, with the height of around 5-6 inch, original file size : around 450 MB.

Some great people here tried to help by asking me to reduce the polygons, BUT i still have issues and problems on this.

Any other ideas from all the nice people here ? It's sad to see that I was not able to print this model here due to the printable size over 64MB.

Ideas and suggestions will be much appreciated.

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Can you be more specific about the wall thickness problem - does it affect only small areas such as peak or tail feathers, or is the entire model
    flagged as too thin (hollow model with only a single, infinitesimally thin "skin" layer - sometimes seen on older commercial models intended for 3d imagery only) ?

3. Glowtrits
    Glowtrits Member
    Yes,

It affects the area of the thinner areas such as the feathers, legs area and the top part of the head.

I will try to see whether i can fix these area and update everyone here.

Thanks
    Vincent

4. mkroeker
    Measure the thickness of the areas that the 3dtool thickness check does not like - it will always flag tapering edges or small surface details, so some of its warnings may be spurious. For the legs perhaps you can use the meshlab "mesh resampling" function as mentioned in this tutorial to thicken them uniformly. If in doubt post a screenshot of the wall thickness tool, there are better modelers here than me.

5. Glowtrits
    Glowtrits Member
    Thanks for your suggestions and comments, mate.

I managed to fix the legs' part and the head part, and also the feathers part. I will be doing a final testing before i do the trial printing using the different materials.

Currently, I only intend to do printing in stainless steel for this model. I may try printing in different and cheaper material to test out the model. Once i have done the final testing on the 3D tool before printing, I will inform you the outcome.

So far, the online 3D Tool managed to fix the thin parts of the model.

Vincent

6. Evette
    Evette Member
    Not sure if you have tried this already but you can use your original (larger than 64mb) file and zip it (extension should be .zip). This way you could upload your original design.

7. mkroeker
    Note this only works if the number of triangles in the model is below the stated limit as well (which would seem unlikely for a 450mb stl file, even if you managed to achieve 7:1 compression ratio with zip)

8. Glowtrits
    Glowtrits Member
    I will also try this method. Will try out in these few days, as I am tied down due to my work.

Thanks and will keep you all posted, if the .zip is workable,

Vincent

9. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    ZBrush has a very good decimation engine, if you want me to target your polygon count for you host and link. -S

10. Glowtrits
    Glowtrits Member
    hey Guys

Apologize for so late in replying, a bit of travelling for work, and tentatively, the file is ok, managed to get the polygons to be reduced to printable size.

Will get the model ready soon. Another pendant is under way.

@Shea_Design.

Thanks for your offer, will keep you in mind once have bigger projects coming..

Cheers all and Happy New Year to all here.

Vincent