From first doodle to first prototype

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by lize_design, Nov 25, 2015.

1. lize_design
    lize_design Member
    I am loving Shapeways!! It wasn't long ago that I was sketching out these ideas and now I have the first prototypes. I have a few changes to make now that I see them, but the process is half the fun, right? :)

IMG_20151124_212609.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2015
  2. Ontogenie
    Ontogenie Well-Known Member
    Is it a ring? Very cool! Shapeways is great fun, a little addictive actually. ;-)

3. lize_design
    lize_design Member
    Yes it a ring. I'll have to get some photos of someone wearing it :)

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Very nice! I added your image to your post for you. This should help with engagement. After you upload, there is a link to add the image to the post. Click that, and it automatically adds the code to show the image.

5. lize_design
    lize_design Member
    Awesome, thank you! Still new to this, but I'll try that next time :)

6. aimeemoyer
    aimeemoyer Shapeways Employee Ecommerce Team
    Love the sketches with the product - great shot!

7. lize_design
    lize_design Member
    Thank you! I can't wait to get the revised design back :) These ones didn't quite fit and I made some adjustments. Hopefully I can get them up in my shop soon!

8. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
    Take note some details here for the rings:

- WSF has an error of 0.2 mm they can land a bit on the -0.2
    - Brass/Silver/and all cast metals has less error and does not give the -x thing
    - For high detail rings it is better to prototype in FUD so the measures fits the cast versions too.

Have fun!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  9. lize_design
    lize_design Member
    Thanks for that insight numarul7! I'll keep that in mind in the future. I want the end product of this ring to be in the strong & flexible (at least for now), so I was prototyping in the same material. Next time I'm designing a metal ring I'll try out the Frosted Detail.

10. lize_design
    lize_design Member
    Finally got a chance to photograph the final products from the original post. You can find them in my shop now :)