need help: what is the max xyz dimensions I can 3d print in shapways?

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 982442_deleted, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Hi,
    I need help please: I could not get the prices filled in shapeways when I uploaded an stl file for a product having xyz: 14.8"x0.4"x14.8" .
    (strong/flex material. Is it because I exceeded the max dimensions?
    Tx,
    Dan
    dantab@optonline.net

2. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    When you edit your model and look under the model tab do you see any "view issues" notices in the auto check column? That would give you hint about what may be going wrong.

Max size for wsf is 650 × 350 × 550 mm, or 25.59 x 13.77 x 21.65 inches, so 14.8"x0.4"x14.8" should fit inside there in some orientations. Are you seeing a bounding box error under view issues? I've never done anything that big before but maybe you could try uploading the source file after changing its orientation in your editing program. x,y, and z are not always referenced the same way and I'm not sure if the Shapeways system will automatically reorient a big thing like that to match their x,y,z reference frame.

3. Tx. I will dig into it.

4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    To see the max dimensions possible in each material (printer), see the "Materials" entry under the "MAKE" tab. There you will also find design guidelines with figures for minimum wall thickness, minimum size for surface details, clearance for moving parts printed in place etc.