Zbrush model

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 46519_deleted, Aug 6, 2010.

1. 46519_deleted
    46519_deleted Member
    hey guys! im new here and i have some questions! :D first of all here is the model i want made into metal. (im not even sure if its doable) http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af224/kyleschreur/Zbrush /eyedemon.jpg?t=1281114797
    do you think this model would be able to be printed in metal??
    aand this is about zbrush so i know this isnt the right place to ask this buuuut. when i use the zbrush 3d print exporter. it exports my model as an stl but with a file size of 1kb.......1kb??? that doesnt seem right at all. and yes i used decimaster to lower its poly gons...

any help would be great.

2. 46519_deleted
    46519_deleted Member
    and i did try to upload this here.....and i got the email letting me know it doesnt work....

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    What error did you get? can you put up the STL for us to see if we can see the issues? I know Zbrush is mostly for making nice looking things, but not always at keeping them manifold.

4. 46519_deleted
    46519_deleted Member
    i dont know wut u mean by error i didnt get an error. i got an email saying "Unfortunately, we were not able to process and thus print your product. Sadly we were not able to determine what exactly is wrong with it in an automated way.We have already tried correcting the issue using our Mesh Medic."

but i mean the file that zbrush exports is a 1kb file....thats pry y its not working maybe? and do you think u guys can print this model? any thing wrong with it that you can see??

5. Part of the problem is that you've only shown us a picture of the model (which looks great, by the way! :)). From that, it's impossible to tell what might be wrong with it.
    It could have non-manifold parts, not be watertight, have inverted normals, or any number of potential problems, but you can't tell that from a screengrab.

If you upload a copy of the model file you submitted to Shapeways, someone can have a proper look at the actual model and figure out why it's not working.

Andy

6. 46519_deleted
    46519_deleted Member
    uuugh.....im gonna pass on that part. im not giving this model to anyone. you pry understand lol. but i thought of something different now. im going to model a battle axe with spikes and a curvy blade. it would have the handle with a detailed design on it. i would like to know if thats doable as well. (i really dont know much about 3d printing) and could you make like several axes? not just one???? say 5?? i would use stainless steel. also i really dont know any prices. wut would this axe cost. i would like it to be no more that 10 inches tall. give me like a range...is it $200?!?!?! $20??

7. It's perfectly feasible to put several pieces into a single file as long as the total polygon count doesn't go over 500,000. For a few axes, I daresay you'll be safe.

There's no way of knowing what it'll cost, though, until you know the volume of the overall model. In the case of the stainless steel, it costs $10 per cubic centimetre of material used (prices for the various materials, as well as printing guidelines, can be found here).

Once you've made your model and upload it to the site, it'll tell you how much it'll cost to order. If it's too much for you, you can always modify it (remove an axe or two, or scale them down, for instance), and re-upload it; there's no obligation to buy straight away just because you've uploaded it.

Andy

8. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    If you want you can email it to me, I won't do anything other then error check it. youknowwho4eva@gmail.com . I've been here a while and helped many. I won't steal your model. A 10 inch axe would be expensive. stainless is $10 per cubic cm. Which would be 0.0610237441 cubic inches. Yes it can be done. Yes it can be printed as many times as your heart desires (and wallet allows) as long as it's a printable model.

9. 46519_deleted
    46519_deleted Member
    ok now im thinking about using my model again lol. i would really like a stainless steel figure of my model on my desk. i guess i can send you the file. but what would you do with it??? like how would you fix it??

o and also my price ranges up to $150......is this enough for a decent sized stainless steel model??

10. 46519_deleted
    46519_deleted Member
    o and just to throw this out there. this was my very first model i made in zbrush. i did everything correctly from the start. drew him on paper. made a base mesh in 3ds max. and sculpted him out in zbrush. thats why i need this model on my desk!!!! lol

11. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Please check this page for "Prohibited Products"
    https://www.shapeways.com/support/faq

Because Shapeways ships internationally, they are prohibited from printing "weapons".

They can/will allow a 10cm axe, but not a 10inch one.

As far as figuring out your other problem, there are many people here on the site willing to help, and no, they're not going to steal your model.