Universal Equinoctial Ring Dial

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by jasolo, Jul 24, 2010.

1. jasolo
    jasolo Member
    This Universal Equinoctial Ring Dial is a portable and self-orientating sundial based on similar sundials that were very popular before the existence of reliable wristwatches. The next images show the rendered model, the real thing in White Detail and the same after some dying tests:

universal-ring-dial.jpg

This ring dial has 5 parts but three of them come assembled by design, using clearances: the meridian (external) ring, the equatorial (internal) ring and the central bar (with months and days marks). The eyelet is inserted through the "jasolo fecit" part of the meridian ring. The slider is entered through the slit of the central bar and then it is turned with a little force.

universal-ring-dial_assembly.jpg

This model is a sundial so it works under sunlight, but it is difficult to see the marks in White Detail material. Also real ring dials made in brass come with inked marks. So I tried to dye it with red tea, also looking for a coppery texture. Smooth surfaces, parallel to the printed layers, lost most of the dye after using a fingernail and only the rough areas maintained the dye (such as the marks). But the legibility was still poor, so I painted with black ink the surfaces with marks and later used a wet tissue to remove the excess.

universal-ring-dial_dying.jpg

The final dyed result is a little "dirty", specially the internal ring, that wasn't printed parallel to the external one and the central bar. The actual design doesn't allow this (parts will get fused), but I'm thinking in a new design that will print the internal ring parallel and disassembled (found that the elasticity of the material allows that).

In fact, next version will probably have all the parts disassembled, so I won't have to use clearance around the pivots and their movement will be stiffer. Also I will deepen the marks to improve their dying and to avoid that could be erased with sanding.

So this is the Universal Equinoctial Ring Dial, a functional model that needs some improvements. You can see it in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJAEhqzAOsg

2. euphy
    euphy Member
    This kicks ass, full stop. Love the design, love how you've finished it too. Perfect. Thanks for sharing it too!

3. This looks really cool. I think what you've called a 'dirty' look actually works for it very nicely; I'd say it looks more 'antiqued'.

Andy

4. HaVoC373
    HaVoC373 Member
    wow it kinda looks like old worn out wood. the finish is amazing top notch work.

5. Whystler
    Whystler Member
    I like the final finish too,

-Whystler

6. bitstoatoms
    bitstoatoms Member
    Super Steampunk Stylee..

Nice work.

7. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    Please stop making things that are cooler than what I am thinking of making. ;)

Seriously though, WOW! You keep making really cool stuff!

8. euphy
    euphy Member
    Antiqued is right - I think it looks like scrimshaw (bone) which is just ideal for a seaman's navigation device. I always thought WSF was rather bone-like, or quill-like, but I'll have to trial the detail materials.

I love that you've used the original type and markings, it looks like it's come out amazing - well detailed.

SN

9. jasolo
    jasolo Member
    Thanks everyone!

The problem with I called 'dirty' look is that it hides the marks in the internal ring and it's a pity because they are well detailed (thanks to the Detail material). It can be fixed by sanding, but I want to avoid extra post processing to the final users: tea dying is an easy and clean task, but not sanding. Anyway, the new design will get the same shiny look to both rings and the dying will be more uniform.

The antiqued design is deliberate and it is mainly based on this real ring dial: http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/explore/object.cfm?ID=AST03 09 . I selected it between other twenty ring dials because the mechanism was possible with 3D printing (no screws, no wires) although some details are from the other models, as the signature 'jasolo fecit'. Also the size of my ring dial is smaller to get a size appropriate for pocket and necklace (6cm diameter).

10. chaitanyak
    chaitanyak Member
    wow! genius! this looks soo good!
    This should get featured on the shapeways blog!!

11. jasolo
    jasolo Member
    I have updated the model so now the depth of the marks is 0.5 mm depth (previously was around 0.25).