Tulip teacandle light

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by s_f_x, Jul 23, 2010.

1. s_f_x
    s_f_x Member
    Hi,

now this flower-themed teacandle light arrived a while ago, and I always meant to share my excitement... and now I will! Absolutely thrilled how it turned out!

IMG_5953.jpg

IMG_5950.jpg

IMG_5959.jpg

I first made it as a birthday present, but then lots of people liked it, so I made it available: ( -> find it here)

The petals are thin enough to let quite a lot of light through, yet they are strong enough to last. When it was handed around among birthday guests someone accidentally dropped it, but it didn't matter - the material is flexible and amazingly strong. Heat also doesn't seem to be a problem - it's been in use for a while now, and the plastic doesn't get hot or black or anything.
    The petals themselves are slightly separated, which allows air to get to the candle, and also creates a nice effect with the light shining through.

What do you think?
    (* btw. these are actual photos with a standard tea candle, so you'll get some idea about the light it creates - the background is a beautiful granite dining table that my parents have)

2. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Beautiful model and design... and love the well-photographed product shots (others take note!).

You didn't say what material this was printed in?

Glenn

3. Since SFX mentioned how it turned out to be very "strong" and "flexible", I'm gonna take that as a hint that it's WSF. :p

Beautiful work, and great photos - while I assumed they were real photos from the start, I couldn't help thinking they might also be renders! :)

Andy

4. HaVoC373
    HaVoC373 Member
    beautifull design and photos.
    i am impressed :)

5. euphy
    euphy Member
    Perfect model, looks great!

6. Whystler
    Whystler Member
    I love the way light glows through thin WSF. This is a beautiful application of that property!

-Whystler

7. nervoussystem
    nervoussystem Member
    nice. I like the translucency, how thin is the wall thickness on the petals?

8. s_f_x
    s_f_x Member
    Hi,
    thanks for all the comments!! Very much appreciated. I am still quite new to 3D design, and most things I do are more engineering-related - so I'm glad you like it!
    The material is WSF. I'd love to try it out in glass, I think that would be rather cool - however I think the thinnest point in the petals is only 0.8mm thick, which rules out a lot of other materials. I could make it thicker, but that would increase the price quite a lot. Maybe I should try and scale it down a bit? But it seems to work really well in WSF.

9. s_f_x
    s_f_x Member
    thanks! About the photos:
    These were actually rather "quick snaps" for my standards... Photography is quite a hobby of mine, and usually I would grab the opportunity with something like that as an excuse to get out my flashes, reflectors and camera gear... But in this case it's actually more beautiful to use the candle for letting the object light itself.

PS: after writing this I suddenly felt inspired to play with my camera... here's some more photos, this time illuminated by flashes:
    tulip_studio.jpg
    tulip2.jpg

And another one for your interest: "down the barrel", showing my quick ad-hoc setup for the above shots:
    tulip_setup.jpg

It's easier than you probably think - the umbrellas were $10 online, at least one of the flashes was $30 (the other one is a rather nice one though). I use extension cables to trigger the flashes, but there are also radio triggers available fairly cheaply. One can get good results with entry level SLRs and lenses... but of course better lenses will have advantages :)