Hello from Ireland

Discussion in 'Newcomers Lounge' started by 31000_deleted, Jul 18, 2010.

1. 31000_deleted
    31000_deleted Member
    Hi, I'm from Ireland. I was introduced to shapeways last year by this blog post. I decided I wanted something similar for my girlfriend (she's a weather nerd), but I couldn't find the guys email, and she doesn't wear bracelets anyway, so I decided to recreate it in pendant form using data from her home town:

[​IMG]

It was more fun to do it myself anyway. I don't have a picture of the actual prints, but it looked great in WSF and SS, and she loved it :)

So now I'm back to design our wedding rings! :D

2. bartv
    bartv Member
    A weather nerd eh? Interesting ;)

The bracelet looks like it has some rather sharp edges, making it painful to wear. How did the print turn out?

Bart

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    That does look dangerous, don't make her mad. Why on a Canadian Flag?

4. 31000_deleted
    31000_deleted Member
    It is a bit spiky. This was fine with the WSF print because it is so light, but the weight of the stainless steel one makes it a bit hazardous! She still wears it on special occasions (it does look good), but jogging with it on would probably result in heavy blood loss :p

Canadian flag because she's from Vancouver, as was the data used to generate the bracelet :)

5. 31000_deleted
    31000_deleted Member
    Oops, I meant pendant, not bracelet!

6. Youknowwho4eva
    Ah I see now. Looks like a good start here, will you continue on now in Shapeways?

7. 31000_deleted
    31000_deleted Member

I'll definitely be back now and again; like I said in the first post I'm here to print us some wedding rings :) I've been worrying about how to get them nicely polished (and maybe plated), so yesterday I had a go at polishing up the SS weather pendant for practice. It never occurred to me at the time I had it printed!

[​IMG]

It didn't go as well as I'd hoped, there are still a lot of deep scratches from the initial grinding that I couldn't get out, but it is an improvement. I also ground down some of the sharp points so that it's more comfortable to wear. It doesn't represent the data as accurately anymore, but it's a better piece of jewellery.

8. Youknowwho4eva
    For the rings, if you do the polishing, or order them in the new polished SS, and plate them yourself after a thorough polish, the plating shouldn't be effected as much by the tiny divots.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010