Surface Textures are not Showing up on Uploaded Model

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by 938170_deleted, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Hello,

I hope this is the right category to post this question under. I have been trying to upload my model to Shapeways, and it uploads fine, except that it completely discounts all my colors. I built the model using Strata 3D and tried exporting both OBJ and STL. When loading these into Shapeways, it only gives me a flat white model. I realize there are multiple files created on export, but I can't figure out how to upload all the content I need, since I can only select one file. I read on another thread that someone added all the files to a zip file and uploaded that, but that gives me the exact same results, or sometimes doesn't work at all. The textures are not complex - just flat color.

Does anyone know the answer to this problem? I'm new to Shapeways, so I apologize if the solution is extremely simple.

Thanks,
    Tim

2. Andrewsimonthomas
    Andrewsimonthomas Well-Known Member
    Hey, this is a great question.

It sounds like you're exporting into the wrong formats for color printing. Shapeways supports vrml (wrl) x3b 3xd and collada (.dae) files for color printing, you can learn more about this here

the zip file is only necessary if you need to attach a texture map because you colored by UVs. If you did color per face then you should be able to just use the file in one of these formats.

3. Thanks, Andrew. I'll give that a try and post whether or not it resolves my issue.

4. I have the option to export to VRML 1.0 or VRML 2.0. I have tried both. In both cases, when I upload the resulting wrl, Shapeways just goes back to the upload screen and does nothing. Do you know what could be causing this?

5. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    You need to use VRML2, the older VRML1 is not supported. Also make sure that your model file is smaller than 64mb (zip it if necessary). Use a vrml/x3d viewer like view3dscene to check that the file format and the model geometry is correct.

6. Thanks. I got it to upload, but now it is only giving me one of the textures. I have different textures set to different subset surfaces on the model.

7. mkroeker
    Did you try previewing the wrl in view3dscene or similar ? There might be problems with face orientation (wrong order of vertex coordinates making the calculated surface normal point inward, texture applied to invisible inner surface) or overlapping geometry. Or some of the color was applied directly, while some areas make use of a separate texture image file that is missing...
    If in doubt, retry with a simpler file (colored cube or similar) and attach it to this thread (or PM it to me) if it shows the same problems.

8. It has been repaired in Netfabb. So, we can rule out surface normals. I'll try the cube and see what happens.

9. The cube is doing the same thing. I have attached the wrl for you. It is taking the last texture I added, and using it for all surfaces, when the model itself only has that green set to two surfaces. Two should also be blue, and two should be red.

Attached Files:

10. Here is screenshot of what Shapeways receives.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  11. mkroeker
    Well, the model only has one color definition - "diffuseColor 0.0198 1.0000 0.0000" i.e. almost pure green - applied to the entire cube although there is also a set of unused TextureCoordinate entries as if Strata was planning to add an ImageTexture entry for an external file name as well. (VRML is quite readable, at least if you are a bit accustomed to programming languages or macros)
    Perhaps the easiest solution is to load your wrl into Meshlab and use its "vertex painting" function to color the other faces as desired, if you cannot get Strata to behave. Or try exporting to .dae (Collada format) if Strata supports it - perhaps that export module was written by a different programmer or on a better day...

12. Okay, here is a question, for argument's sake. I have attached a screenshot for you. When creating multiple objects, each with their own color, and putting them together, I get all three colors on upload. In the case of my actual model, he is an eagle made from a single mesh, rather than multiple colliding meshes, as my example here. When building him, I was under the impression that a single mesh was ideal for printing. So, my question is, can Shapeways print objects like this correctly, or must it all be a single mesh? If I create multiple shapes with different textures and have them overlap, will Shapeways just fill in the shared space without a problem?

Attached Files:

13. mkroeker
    Yes, overlap is no problem. (There could be pathological cases where some of your objects just barely touch instead of overlapping, but we'll burn that bridge when we come to it...)

14. Wow, that will majorly simplify not only the texture issue, but the modeling process as well. Modeling from a single mesh can feel a little rigid at times. So potentially, I could make his beak, legs, and feathers separate shapes and just have them overlap? See attached image...

Attached Files:

15. mkroeker
    Sure. Most of my own models are quite lame technically, using overlapping IndexedFaceSet polyhedra like your test cubes.

16. Awesome; thanks for all your help. Nice picture, by the way. Is that a photo or an insane display of your modeling abilities? ;)

17. mkroeker
    Photo taken long before "selfies" became popular :)