Raw Silver Issue

Discussion in 'Materials' started by DreamOfSongs, Aug 3, 2015.

1. DreamOfSongs
    DreamOfSongs Member
    Hello,

I custom made wedding rings for me and my husband in raw silver. We had our wedding and they were blessed by the priest, only to find that my husband is getting a rash from his wedding ring.

Mine is okay, so I thought that it was because his was too tight. We took it to a certified estate jeweler thinking it had to be re-sized.

It turns out that the rash he is developing is because there is a high possibility of nickel contained in the ring. He could be getting an allergic reaction from it.

I looked up the metal content, and it doesn't show that there is nickel in it, but copper. However, his rash is dry, red, and not turning green.

Would someone at Shapeways be able to verify the content?

I have to remake the ring as soon as possible, and deciding if it's better to 3D print the wax and cast it locally, or to just resend the file using a different metal (depends on cost) . Could someone verify if 14K is a better option? White gold?

Attached photos to show what happened to his ring.
    IMG_3036.JPG
    IMG_3037.JPG

Thank you
    Minna

2. Andrewsimonthomas
    Andrewsimonthomas Well-Known Member
    Hey Minna,

Sorry to hear about this!

I don't think there should be copper or nickle in the silver, we using sterling silver and typically that won't cause a rash.

I'd contact service@shapeways and provide these photos, explaination along with the specific model and order that this came from so we can get to the bottom of this.

Best,
    Andrew

3. DreamOfSongs
    DreamOfSongs Member
    Thanks Andrew.

I will email them so we can figure out what happened!

Best
    Minna

4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    There will certainly be a significant amount of copper in silver jewelry - 7.5 to 7.6 percent by weight if it is "sterling silver" - pure silver would be too soft to be useful. Nickel is a different matter, I would not expect this in silver jewelry.
    On the other hand, allergies to copper and even silver are not unheard of - DreamOfSongs, is your husband used to wearing rings or other metal jewelry ? (Some silver jewelry is plated with rhodium as that does not tarnish like silver, which would also reduce any allergic effect of the silver until the thin plating wears off. Not sure what it would cost to get your wedding rings plated by a local jeweller if and when shapeways confirms that their material is nickel-free.)

5. DreamOfSongs
    DreamOfSongs Member
    Thanks mkroeker.

Plating is a good suggestion, but afraid that it will eventually wear off --- like how you stated. I will probably re-design the rings and then send it to a local caster to make it in real gold. I want the rings to last forever!

Thank you!
    Minna

6. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    I think I saw another option mentioned in an allergy-related thread here some time ago - getting a very thin sleeve made out of gold (or other non-allergenic material) that covers the inside of the ring (and is soldered to it). Pure 999/24K gold again could be too soft for a ring that is worn every day, but I'm only a chemist, not a jeweller. (Doing an allergy test might also be an option - there are people who are allergic to gold even, and it could also be that the skin irritation is simply from sweating if he is not used to wearing a ring)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  7. DreamOfSongs
    DreamOfSongs Member
    All are good suggestions, thank you for your advice. I will also visit a jeweler to ask about real gold plating.

Thanks!
    Minna

8. panguver
    panguver Well-Known Member
    When I got my order in silver, I saw several similar issues, but on outer glide surface. I understood that it becomes via transportation in not good climate (maybe, some water...).