The Fire Gauntlet

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by aeron203, Jul 4, 2010.

1. aeron203
    aeron203 Member
    The Fire Gauntlet is an attempt to make a one-shot printed glove with hinged joints, which is also my entry for the Siggraph 2010 contest. I had a concept I'd been sketching for a while that was intended to be made of individually printed steel parts, but the cost and complexity of that project was way beyond what could be done in two weeks, so I modified it to something more achievable that I thought might make a good display model.

The density-based model discount set me thinking on ways of achieving density, like arranging pieces together that would be assembled into larger models. I initially considered an architectural model with concentric shells, but the price limit of $200 was too low. I recently got access to a structured-light 3D scanner, so I decided to use that technology to help make the Fire Gauntlet concept a reality in the short time frame. The initial idea was much more ambitious than the final model ended up being, due to the engineering nightmare and general unlikelihood of accomplishing what I was trying to do. The idea morphed from a collapsible structure with sliding joints to a simpler glove that contains a few sliding joints as a test. Note the faux actuators on the back of the knuckles.

Reflective or translucent objects must be coated for acquisition in structured-light scanners. The scan was not very clean because the white talc spray I covered my hand with began flaking off, and those shapes created noise in the data. The data set is also only partial because it simply isn't possible to access all parts of my hand without moving it and destroying the scan. As it is, I had to carefully follow the rotation of a mechanized platform that starts and stops abruptly.

Here is the scanned surface I started with, and a rendering of the final design.

HandData.jpg

There are so many directions of joint motion in the hand that replicating them perfectly would be at least very bulky, and largely impossible due to the pivot points being located within the hand. Printed hinges need so much clearance that they are very sloppy and allow some lateral motion, so a very small hinge has some characteristics of a ball-joint. I decided to try to take advantage of this by using them like bushings to provide resistance as a hinge goes through it's range. By setting two hinges on a plane with a different orientation, the hinge will be inclined to stay in it's neutral position.

Minimal clearances are used, and there will almost certainly be some fusing on the first run. there are about 300 parts and I was racing to finish. Chances are I made at least one mistake, but even if I can't simply slide it off the frame and onto my hand, I am really happy with how the model turned out. I'm also thinking would help a lot if I give it a nice paint job to simulate an aged metal look. If I had the extra time and money I'd print the parts in steel and assemble them with decent fasteners. The results would be very impressive but not useful for much, except perhaps a really, really great oven mitt. At the very least I'd like to make one more generation that refines the linkages and addresses some functional issues. Also I'd like to extend the length, to make it a proper gauntlet.

To be more progressive about it, the idea does have interesting implications. In the future, with more robust materials, one could use a human-sized build chamber and print out a whole suit with specific tools and equipment designed into it. Add servos and electronics and you have a very accessibly priced wearable device customized to different tasks and individual bodies. I could see that having value for certain specialized jobs or for people with disabilities. The possibilities are really just starting to be considered, and hopefully seeing something like this in person will inspire more imaginations and help people see the potential in their own futures.

Here is the model page: https://www.shapeways.com/model/133199/fire_gauntlet.html

2. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    :eek: I can't believe I didn't see this one earlier. Very impressive!
    So I guess you won ? :p

(The contest page states the winner hears it on the 2nd of July, I'm dying to know who it is)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  3. 30575_deleted
    30575_deleted Member
    I guess this text will be in the Shapeways display next to your gauntlet at SIGGRAPH2010 ? Congratulation, this is an impressive model ! :thumbsup:

4. aeron203
    aeron203 Member
    Thanks guys. Virtox, I didn't get any notification, so I have to assume I didn't win. I'm wondering who did.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  5. gibell
    gibell Well-Known Member
    Behold: The Fire Gauntlet - The Worlds Most Incredible Oven Mitt

Now that is a *GREAT* caption !! :laughing: :laughing:

6. 34534_deleted
    34534_deleted Member
    we are slightly late by letting people know about the winner, Denise will post the info tomorrow - good luck to all, i have some really nice designs

7. chd
    chd Member
    Can we buy a pair? awsome for cyber-punk cosplay!

8. aeron203
    aeron203 Member
    You can buy it...on the frame. I'm working on making this happen as a glove but I've run into a few snags with the printing process. They didn't print the first attempt because it had "disconnected parts". The parts are (nearly) connected by hinges, but of course the parts can't be truly connected if the hinges are going to work. I did print one connected to the frame that came out beautifully!

In the future they may be available in custom sizes ; )

9. chd
    chd Member
    Nice, Keep us posted!