New and interested designer looking for some info.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pirocious, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Pirocious
    Pirocious Member
    Hey everyone. I have bee selling some of my 3d models in the virtual world and would really love to see some of them in my own hands but I have no Idea how to start. All of my models have been scaled by eye to match a player character. It]s easy to just eyeball it and position the stuff around the character when it's for the virtual world. How do we scale things for shapeways? Some of my models like the one in my picture have clipping vertex groups and I don't understand how the printing machines would deal with that. Is it safe to assume I can't use this method? I am also curious if I can print using 2 kinds of materials. If these questions are are covered already please point me in the right direction. Thank you. <3

Attached Files:

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Not sure I understand the question about scaling, or at least I do not see the specific relevance to 3d printing ? The vertex clipping would hopefully be taken into account by your modeling software when you export to one of the commonly supported 3d file formats such as STL, OBJ, DAE or WRL/X3D. I expect if problems will arise it will be from subtle flaws that do not matter for a purely visual representation - coincident surfaces, tiny holes, sheets (like a character's cape) that have zero thickness. Familiarize yourself with the 3d output options (and perhaps even printability checks) available in your software (which is it ?), eventually download the free, cross-platform netfabb studio basic software from netfabb.com that lets you check for and fix some of the most common problems.

Printing in two or more materials is not currently possible, unless you can split your model into separate parts that you or your customers can assemble after printing. Multicolor printing is possible in a rather heavy, brittle material shapeways calls "full color sandstone" - actually gypsum powder held together by superglue and colored with a low resolution inkjet printhead. Trials are currently underway for a similar process using plastics particles instead of the gypsum, and an even more advanced printer type has been promised to become available later this year.

All the information about costs and required dimensions are contained under the "Materials" tab at the top of the page, you may want to view some of the production videos in shapeways' youtube channel to see how the actual printing is done and what level of manual work is still involved.

3. Pirocious
    Pirocious Member
    Thanks for your reply, I have watched some videos on the process it goes through and the video on tiny empires. I'll look at the others when I have more time. My question on scaling is the one I am most concerned about. I use blender and I'm sure it has a ruler function but I have never used it.
    Scaling has to be exact in the real world. If I want something to be the size of a golf ball it has to come out to 1.68 inches. How do I make that possible?

4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Not a blender user myself, but see this thread for suggestions.

5. Pirocious
    Pirocious Member
    Thanks very much mkroeker!. I found what I was looking for in the comments of that thread. You're the best. <3

I also found this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnCf-5G7DYc It answered every single one of my questions so I will leave it here for anyone else who uses blender.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015