Shapeways site update of July 1st 2010

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by 11539_deleted, Jul 2, 2010.

1. 11539_deleted
    11539_deleted Member
    Hi All,

We've had another update this week and I wanted to inform you about it:

* The big feature of this week is that we now support the use of sub-categories to better classify the models. With the number of models growing, as well as the kind of models, we think this to be a big step in making the site more usable.

You find the new categories and sub-categories directly on the front page and of course on the galleries.

The coming days/weeks we'll do more-and-more configuring in the subcategories, and we'll also try put as many models in the correct subcategory automatically as possible. (Eg, by putting models from a theme-gallery into a category that is of similar context).

You can help by reviewing your models and put them into the correct (sub) category. To prevent models being put in all categories, a model can only be put in a limited number of categories.
    Please help in making your models easier to find.

* The description of a model can now be longer, you can use [enter] in the description, and it supports click-able URLs.

* And something not many of you will see (should see) ... if you choose to pay your order by bank transfer, you'll get a reminder email when the payment is almost due.

Kind regards, Arno

2. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Hi,

1. I'm on Firefox and cant get the sub directories to work for me, my entire window is covered with a bluish layer and that's it , nothing to do except do a refresh...

2. can we use <embed> for a youtube video too?
    I use youtube videos to better market the models.

Thanks

3. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    Hi Dizinghof,

1. I had the same problem, for me the (temporary) solution was to not use "zooming" in the browser window, make sure things are shown at default size.

2. Second that :) A video of a Gyro Toy says a thousand pictures ;)

Cheers (for Holland :) )

Stijn

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  4. robert
    robert Member
    Which version of Firefox are you using?

For those wanting to embed videos we have something in store for you very soon. :)

- Robert

5. photosfromrob
    photosfromrob Member
    There should be subcategories under design your own and design your own under each category...please

6. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Firefox 3.6.6 the latest.

7. robert
    robert Member
    Yes, those categories are coming.

- Robert

8. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I'm having the same issue with firefox 3.6.6. Then again I've been having network issues all day so I can't confirm that it's shapeways and not my network. The loading thing spins, and the bottoms says getting this from there and this from here. But I cut it off after like 10 minutes.

9. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    For the model train enthusiasts that are modelling here.. it would be helpful if the "Model Train" section had a place to specify what SCALE a model is for.. O, HO, N, Z, etc.

10. GHP
    GHP Member
    In Internet Explorer 8, I'm finding that the green buttons that you click to show the sub-category pop-up menus cover up many of the items in the pop-up menus. I'm attaching a snapshot. Also, are the next/previous (arrow) buttons on the "Draw your own earrings competition" picture supposed to do something? They don't when I click them, and that has been true of similar buttons on the other featured items lately. Also, my status bar when I go to the home page says "Error on page", with the error details as below:

"
    Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB6.5)
    Timestamp: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 03:57:54 UTC

Line: 817
    Char: 7
    Code: 0
    URI: https://www.shapeways.com/platform/atk/javascript/prototype/p rototype.js

Line: 6
    Char: 44
    URI: https://www.shapeways.com/min/g=842c5b09a37d31870cf999a88acad 713&1276761830

Line: 817
    Char: 7
    URI: https://www.shapeways.com/platform/atk/javascript/prototype/p rototype.js
    "

Incidentally, am I the only one who can't add shop sections and categories or move my items around on the page to edit my shop?

Attached Files:

11. virtox
    Yesterday, I spent quite some time putting models in the new right categories, when I finally got it working.

Today, they seem to have been reset to the values they had after the automatic conversion. :(

12. GHP
    GHP Member
    I've been trying to add categories to a model I've just uploaded, but when I leave the model's page, I get a dialog box titled "Message from webpage" with the message "Stack overflow at line: 218". When I return to the model's page, the categories I added are gone.

Update: The categories I added are back again!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  13. virtox
    Grr, don't forget to also "save changes" to the model page, after "saving categories" ;)
    Had to do my changes twice today :rolleyes:

(although I'm sure, that yesterday I did this, as I checked them later and all were fine, till this morning)

14. 34534_deleted
    34534_deleted Member
    We are working on this and will add very soon