Tea Cup Series

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 51709_deleted, Jul 6, 2015.

1. 51709_deleted
    51709_deleted Member
    EDIT: I edited the thread to make this a place to share each of the new designs instead of making multiple posts.

I've decided to do a bunch of different designs for tea cups. The latest one is a Lotus blossom that has the option of having a bee in it.
    http://shpws.me/ITd2
    http://shpws.me/ITd6
    lotusteacupside.jpg
    lotusteacupbottom.jpg
    lotusteacuptop.jpg
    lotusteacuptopwbee.jpg

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  2. pinelas
    pinelas Well-Known Member
    Very nice!. I like the insect in the bottom, very funny :)

3. 3D3e
    3D3e Member
    Beautiful cup! Was the signature on the bottom included in the design or made afterwards?

4. 51709_deleted
    51709_deleted Member
    I did the signature within Zbrush the same as the teacup. I used the Dam Standard brush with a dot alpha.Thanks for the compliment!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  5. 3D3e
    3D3e Member
    Zbrush... in my to-learn list! :)

6. 51709_deleted
    51709_deleted Member
    Migrated Dragon Egg Tea Cup Post from previous post.

dragon egg as a japanese style tea cup roughly 3" in diameter.
    http://shpws.me/IKJE
    EDIT: I went ahead and ordered one in Celadon Green :D
    View attachment 105860
    View attachment 105858
    Just a note to pass along to help those glazing and firing these pieces:
    If you put a nice little ledge on the top edge of the foot it will prevent the glaze from running down and potentially sticking to the kiln shelf. It will also give a nice clean edge to the bottom of the glaze. :D

View attachment 106214

7. seriaforma
    seriaforma Well-Known Member
    These are very nice - beautiful detail. I'm interested to see if the detail shows in the final product.

8. 51709_deleted
    51709_deleted Member
    Well the Dragon Egg Tea cup arrived today. It is interesting to see the printed result. There was a definite loss of detail from the renders but I expected some and knew most of it would be collection sites for the glaze. There are a few bullet points for observations and suggestions:

*The only disappointment really is that when it was glazed the glaze ledge for the foot was ignored and the inside of the foot was glazed as well. Coming from a background as a potter I assumed that from the glaze ledge down there wouldn't be any glaze unless some would be used just to highlight the inscription inside the base.
    *It would have been interesting to see what level of detail the printing would support if the inside of the foot was left unglazed.
    *The clay body is definitely a low fire and it wasn't even fired to vitrification so the clay body doesn't ring like porcelain when struck it sounds more like a regular white clay body.
    *If porcelain was chosen to support a higher level of detail than the previous clay body then I would suggest air brushing the glazes onto the pieces after brushing wax resist on the foot/base which would also prevent the residual glaze color left behind on the brighter colors. This would also improve the economy of your glaze utilization and cover more with less.
    *It would be nice if there was a way of indicating what to glaze and what to leave unfinished, either through a texture file or something interactive once the model is loaded.
    *I always burnished my vessel bases to prevent damage to whatever they were set upon and potentially slid across. The base of this was left with a slight grit that would mar any finished wooden surface with scratches. Something to consider for vessels that would be potentially used in this way and include it in the production process.

This has been a good experiment on a number of points mainly because it helps me understand the detail threshold which is why I layered them to see where the drop off was. It does feel really nice in the hand and I look forward to enjoying some tea with it! I welcome any ideas or further suggestions beyond the quick notes I have left. Here are the pics!
    20150716_160326.jpg
    20150716_160340.jpg
    20150716_160301.jpg
    20150716_160432.jpg
    20150716_161049.jpg

9. Andrewsimonthomas
    Andrewsimonthomas Well-Known Member
    Thanks for sharing and for the insights!

Yep, you nailed it. This is for a combination of reasons to keep the porcelain from shifting or warping during firing.