Symmetric patterns on a sphere surface, my hobby

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by jardar, Jun 17, 2015.

1. jardar
    jardar Member
    This time the designs consist simply of small circles on the sphere surface. I'm repeatedly quite impressed of premium silver finish and detail!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    chanusa likes this.
  2. Andrewsimonthomas
    Andrewsimonthomas Well-Known Member
  3. EricHo
    EricHo Well-Known Member
    Gorgeous!

4. Ontogenie
    Ontogenie Well-Known Member
    Very pretty!

It's hard to take photos of polished silver models without seeing hands and camera in the reflection, isn't it? I've had the same problem with some of my models.

5. jardar
    jardar Member
    If you want professional photos, yes indeed. Thankfully I don't care. Reducing amount of large reflective surfaces helps, of course! :)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  6. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
    Only way to get reflection off is to use DSLR camera with a good lens ... and from big distance.

Looking good!

7. jardar
    jardar Member
    More of the same kind, in polished brass. Even less professional photo!

[​IMG]

8. seriaforma
    seriaforma Well-Known Member
    Very cool! Have you tried antiquing them to make the lines stand out more?

9. jardar
    jardar Member
    That's a very interesting idea which I haven't considered, but could try out some day. I don't have experience of antiquining, so I'd expect couple less-than-stellar attempts before proper success. I fear a bit about internal surfaces of these spheres, they're practically impossible to clean or polish mechanically.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  10. ProjectMobius
    ProjectMobius Well-Known Member
    should take this with complete black background to show the most out of the brass in my opinion :)

11. katkinkead
    katkinkead Well-Known Member
    I love seeing your reflection in these!

12. jardar
    jardar Member
    New designs on the same strain. Smallest one (less than 10 mm in diameter after polishing in premium silver, others 15 and 20 mm) is a tad too small, but nice designs they all are!

[​IMG]

10 mm iron-nickel meteorite sample cube is there only for a size reference! :)

13. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    Yeah these are fun! Looks like you're getting more complex with each version. Most of my models are very spendy in premium polish, especially disconcerting when the surface area calculation includes interiors that can never be reached. -S

14. jardar
    jardar Member
    I think a rough and unpolished - but not too rough - interiors create an interesting contrast on these objects. And seriously, silver is almost free in comparison to gold and platinum! :)

This interlocking star design was actually my first 3D design I really wanted to turn into a physical object. This was couple years ago. (Originally it was just an abstract study on equations on math software.) After several other experimental pieces and increasing confidence on engineering parameters, I redesigned it in the way you see it now.

15. seriaforma
    seriaforma Well-Known Member
    These look great! I love the contrast with the unfinished interior.

16. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    I love these...
    I like repeating patterns (like space filling polyhedra) and I like spheres. So I can only be impressed by your hobby.
    They are so many graphic patterns you can do on a plane, that i can't wait to see others of your creations on a sphere... Keep on the good job.

17. jardar
    jardar Member
    There's lots to explore. Physical product is just a small part of it, writing pieces of code for design exploration is a major intellectual driver for me. I have still quite a way to go before I can reach variety that Japanese Temari balls or Islamic patterns of Craig Kaplan provide...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  18. helengarcia
    helengarcia Member
    Informative, thanks.