If you were wondering what the support material looks like

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Andrewsimonthomas, May 22, 2015.

1. Andrewsimonthomas
    Andrewsimonthomas Well-Known Member
    Hey All,

This is what the samples in the material pages looked like before the support material was removed. I think it pretty clearly illustrates how making these types of geometry works.

IMG_8173.JPG
    IMG_8170.JPG
    IMG_8177.JPG

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  2. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    Are there any classes of shapes that wouldn't require any support material? Maybe things like cylindrical cups or pyramidal shapes? I'm wondering because it seems like the supports might leave something like sprue marks except a whole bunch more of them.

3. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Eiffel tower, the classic demo for SLA/DLP printers.

4. mvezza
    mvezza Member
    What I'm more curious about it is: How do you go about removing those supports?

5. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Mercury would dissolve it easily enough, but I guess they will prefer to use some sort of Dremel tool. Would not surprise me if this material saw lots of "part cannot be cleaned" rejections...

6. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
    @mvezza: In the other topic it was just stated that the machines are from SLM Solutions. Two years ago they delivered a machine (SLM 280) to a company where I did an internship. I hope they upgraded their advise, back then it was 'Do you have a screwdriver and a hammer?'

@MrNibbles: I designed a little rocket that only had 5 wires of support, which where easily removed with pliers. It was printed upside down, so with one support on the top and 4 on the edge. You always need some support structure to attach the model to the building plate. The support for this model was only necessary to avoid the model to get moved by the wiper during the recoating.
    IMG_7190.png
    This model is around 7 cm high and printed in Inconel, but also printed in Al before.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  7. Andrewsimonthomas
    Thanks for sharing Daphne!

Have you tried polishing it? the surface looks a little rougher than what we have in the office so far.

8. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
    I haven't polished any rockets, but I tried polishing some other Al parts with sandpaper, a dremel and polishing pasta. I actually spend the better half of a day trying to polish the front two parts of the airplane. However, I could not reach all surfaces on the bottom (something with complex shapes..) so the last part was sand blasted. Please note that this was just a prototype and that it doesn't actually reflect the quality of the company. The used material is AlSi10Mg.
    2013-06-12 13.45.53.jpg

9. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
  10. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
    No the resolution is not very different. I was at Euromold where SLM solutions had this big stand and I asked what was new. It has a bigger building platform, x by x by 500 mm instead of x by x by 280 mm. Creative naming. Oh, and it has more lasers.

11. Andrewsimonthomas
    Also to double up on that, we maybe be using both machines depending on the order, similarly to how we use EOS P1's P3,s and P7's in White Strong and Flexible.

I'd never base your design strictly on one machine's capabilities, but make it general enough for the a range of machines.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  12. numarul7
    Daphne how big is that airplane ? I don`t get the scale of it from the photo :)

13. What are the issues with support removal on internal features. For example, for a part such as a turbocharger volute with a snail shell type profile (tapered tube). Do the supports have to be line of sight?

14. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
    Do you see the stripes on the rocket keychain in the left corner? The big stripes are centimeters.

15. numarul7
    Got it!

16. SusanParker
    SusanParker Member
    Great, really looking forward to seeing what this can do. Very excited at the possibilities it offers.

As an aside, has Shapeways considered offering "As printed" so that we do the support material removal and any tidying up ourselves? That could significantly reduce the labour handling on the items where one is making components for things rather than finished items to sell directly to others..

17. Andrewsimonthomas
    Hey Susan-Parker,

Glad you're interested!

It is certainly possible that we could offer that, but the goal behind piloting this material is to learn how to efficiently manufacture Aluminum as a shopper ready material. Since end customers wouldn't be interested in removing the supports, we're keen on making sure that we can do it first before we just offer it in a situation where only makers (people making personal projects) would find it useful.

18. SusanParker
    SusanParker Member
    Hi Andrew,

For the web based direct to end customer, absolutely. And in the short term whilst everyone is getting to know the process and capabilities, again absolutely; always good not to overly complicate matters.

However for the longer term there are other things I can think of where subsequent machining is going to be part of the process, so not having the cost overhead of support removal could make that more accessible.

For example, in my work in the Department of Physics at Imperial College London I come across instances where being able to custom make "near finished" structures could be really interesting e.g. narrow band IR spectrometer for laser beam monitoring (in our group we do femto and atto second pulsed laser science). We can of course make prototypes in SLA nylon, but plastics are not stable enough if one is making things that are effectively sitting inside the arms of interferometers which are inside vacuum chambers.

Anyway, that is something for a future discussion.

Many thanks.

Best,
    Susan.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  19. Andrewsimonthomas
    absolutely! It would be a very interesting offering to makers in the future and could help with labor/leadtimes.