What Program Should I Learn for 3D Printing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 272294_deleted, May 4, 2015.

1. I just started a CAx education blog and created this map to help people navigate the field of design software. I would love some feedback, what do you think?
    [​IMG]

2. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
    Wow, I have never seen such an extensive overview. Great job!

I do have some comments:
    I would put Meshmixer and sculptris on the same level. I don't have much experience, but I think Meshmixer has more options than sculptris.
    The arrows are a bit confusing, because it implies some connection between the software. I wouldn't call SolidWorks organic modelling.
    Maybe you can find another way of labelling the uses? For example horizontal bars which can contain multiple programs instead of arrows.

3. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Agree that the arrows are confusing - or are they actually supposed to imply that users "graduate" from one level to the next by moving along the arrow (shelling out $$$ left and right) and everybody ends up using either NX or Catia shortly before reaching Nirvana ?
    I believe this should be a table, which would also make it much simpler to offer suggestions for programs not in your overview - offhand I miss "povray" from the Rendering section, also openscad is available on Linux.

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I brushed through and didn't see much freeware (guess I should have read the key :) ), like blender which can do pretty much everything.

Also for photoediting, I use paint.net which with plug ins I'd put just under the photoshop I last used which was like 10 years ago. I've glanced at more recent versions of photoshop, and prefer paint.net to them.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  5. Thank you! I see what you mean. I'll try and add something to make it clearer in version 2.0

The arrows are trying to demonstrate increasing levels of complexity as one moves from beginner to advanced software. They also mean to show how some software can be using for one workflow (rendering), while more advanced software integrates multiple workflows (rendering, sculpting, organic modeling,etc..)The idea is to help people find what software works for them, which doesn't mean someone should end up using NX or Catia. My mainstay is Rhino and I love it.

Thanks for the suggestions on Povray, Paint.net and for catching my mistake on OpenSCAD. I'll add those in when I can.

I've seen a couple of tables that try and explain software to beginners and I when I look at it, it feel like a big data dump. Too much overload, no way to process the information. I wanted to graph it so people could understand how software relates to each other. Also, to covey various starting points and places to go from there.

Thanks again, I appreciate the feedback.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  6. barkingdigger
    barkingdigger Well-Known Member
    I'm not sure the "list it once" approach really does justice to the packages. As a long-term AutoCAD driver (3 decades - showing my age!) I can tell you it started life as a 2D design program, before branching out to fill niches in mech design and rendering. I'm just talking "vanilla" ACAD here - there are the task-specific spin-offs, but with a little effort all the tools for them already lurk in the main product. So, your chart will get a bit more complicated...

7. sbhunterca
    sbhunterca Well-Known Member
    In my browser, the flow chart's text is way too small to read and it disappears if I attempt to zoom in... any chance of attaching a file or give a link so we can see it clearly?

Sounds like an interesting topic, but one needs to be able to read the chart to participate!

Thanks!

Steve Hunter

8. barkingdigger
    barkingdigger Well-Known Member
    Hi Steve,

I right-clicked and saved it to my Desktop, then opened it in Windows Photo Viewer. That let me zoom in, but the size makes it clunky to move around - you can't get any overview without zooming out to where the text is unreadable.

9. mvezza
    mvezza Member
    Personally, I use Blender - which makes Maya look like a dream - it's free, but absent from chart, from what I could see.

10. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
    Blender is included, it's only green bubble in the advanced software.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  11. mvezza
    mvezza Member
    Ah, there it is - missed it! Thank you.

12. mvezza
    mvezza Member
    Side note: Didn't see Softimage and did some Googling - surprised to see it being discontinued.

13. sbhunterca
    sbhunterca Well-Known Member
    Thanks, that makes it much clearer!

My work is almost 100% CAD, although I've done a bit of work sculpting finished CAD surfaces to duplicate stone in some models.

I recently retired and purchased GeoMagic Design/ Alibre... I am very happy with it as it is very powerful, doesn't require a ridiculously expensive computer, is very reasonably priced, and it was a very comfortable transition from the systems I used in my professional career.

I spent about twenty years working with ProEngineer, most recently ProEngineer Wildfire 5. My employer liked the stability of this version, it was paid for, and they weren't enthused about replacing all those licenses with something more current. Pro Eng is now Creo.

Creo really should be listed in the parametric section- perhaps it needs an arrow leading to it from the parametric line as well as from Direct Modelling?

I spent five years with Catia... despite a rather brutal learning curve, I very much liked this program but was perfectly happy going back to a newer version of ProEngineer with a change of employment.

Obviously, both Pro Eng and Catia are extremely high end programs that few designers here on Shapeways will be willing to purchase. This is what I like about GeoMagic Design/ Alibre. I have the same functionality in solid modelling CAD and assembly modelling, but at a reasonable price. I don't have the extensive surfacing package found in Pro Eng, but few users at work needed that- basically, three or four guys who spend most of their time working on aircraft work.

When I retired in October, my employer was exploring a strategy to rationalize about 150 seats of multiple CAD systems, at all levels, from very basic to highly advanced. I was lucky to play a very minor role in this study, and learned about a few systems I'd never heard of previously. Obviously, floating licenses at a corporate level may be part of the solution, with training given at a level appropriate to the individual user. It would be interesting to hear the eventual solution.

Along the way I've used many other CAD systems, but ACAD would be the most important of those. My ACAD experience is too out of date to be of value here, as they were just starting to add 3D functionality when I stopped using it.

One thing that would be nice to see in the flow chart as it develops is some discussion of the weaknesses and strengths of each program, and of the relative popularity in industry. Is there any way to do this, but avoid clutter, possibly by hovering with the mouse or right clicking? Obviously, much of that input would need to come from experienced users in each system. I see you're already starting to fill in costs of software (machine costs could add significantly to the cost of some packages).

Wouldn't it be great if software manufacturers would create a special type of license, where a fee is charged for each hour of use- occasional users wouldn't pay much, but if they used it a lot for short durations they would pay more, while heavy users would be best to just buy the softwae...

A thought is that beginners might not really understand the initial categories very well, and an even more basic column might help them- a "What do I want to do" type of thing, leading sculptors toward organic design , mechanical types toward CAD- but giving guidance as to whether they want direct modelling or parametric, etc... realizing most parametric software can also be used in more basic direct modelling.

Sorry for the rambling reply, but my hope is there might be something useful in here.

I really like what you're doing. The world of 3D modelling, in all its forms, can be a very bewildering place. You're helping beginners to make an informed choice and avoid future regrets.

Steve Hunter

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  14. mvezza
    mvezza Member
    If there's any suggestion I'd make, I'd break the chart down into separate charts based on topic; i.e. a chart for Organic Modeling, Industrial Modeling, Animation, etc.

15. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
  16. Edge3D
    Edge3D Member
    Thank you for this useful information, this is exactly what I was looking for. I'm looking to get into modeling humans and designing. I always thought I should find the best software for each then learn that specific software, but it looks like here you are recommending started with more basic software than after you learn that move up? Wouldn't that then be wasted time though learning the old software?

Also, if I want to 3D print human models - what's the difference between the 'sculpting' vs. 'organic modeling' categories?

17. The skills and techniques you learn in basic software are transferable to more advanced programs. only a small amount of time is spent jumping from one interface to another, in most cases. Starting with simplicity helps with accelerated learning by focusing solely on high frequency commands (the Pareto's Principle). Another advantage is trying out different workflows with little investment in time, money, energy before going in depth on any one.

Organic modeling involves direct manipulation of vertex, lines and surfaces, while sculpting reflects a traditional clay sculpting workflow.

Human model's tend to be created with a mixture of organic modeling and sculpting workflows.

18. Edge3D
    Edge3D Member
    So for what I want it looks like organic modeling may be the way to go -- since I also want to design things such as say, a model car. This way I could do both with learning one piece of software at a time. For creating human models though, isn't sculpting a faster workflow?

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  19. As per me , i would suggest 123D Design which is a free 3D creation and editing tool developed by Autodesk. It gives you access to most features and allows you to create and use 3d printer models for non-commercial purposes also.