Non-Manifold C4D

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by antiapathy, Jun 10, 2010.

1. antiapathy
    antiapathy Member
    I extruded some graffiti-style type and duplicated the results into rings. The result was non-manifold, but I am having trouble grasping the definition of non-manifold (and struggling to use effectively the non-manifold check in C4d effectively).

It seems like extruded shapes should be manifold. My letters DO overlap one another. If I extruded each letter separately, would that solve the issue?

I attached the file, in case a fellow C4D user is willing to take a look.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    What file type are you uploading to shapeways?

3. antiapathy
    antiapathy Member
    I exported and uploaded an STL.

4. antiapathy
    antiapathy Member
    Is it possible that the issues are happening with the export? Are there other format options I have that may be better?

5. Youknowwho4eva
    The issue with uploading an stl with intersecting geometry is the verticies intersect. Can you trim the lines to each other before extruding? or join the solids so they don't overlap?

6. antiapathy
    antiapathy Member
    Yes, I could trim the lines before extruding.

The other part is a little harder. Maybe I could use booleans to add the objects together or subtract them from each other.

What do you think? Thanks for the suggestions.

7. Youknowwho4eva
    Yes, use boolean union

8. antiapathy
    antiapathy Member
    Making and importing the outlines was no problem.

The C4D booleans isn't working the way I had hoped though. It doesn't seem to delete all the parts that end up in the inside of the model.

Is there some other trick I am missing?

In the file attached I am showing the "Boolean Intersection," because I believe that is what is probably deleted when I do "Boolean Union."

I imagine/hope there is a better solution than to manually go in and delete the intersecting parts.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  9. Youknowwho4eva
    Unfortunately I can't open a C4D. If you can put up and STL or preferably an IGES I can take a look.

10. antiapathy
    antiapathy Member
    I attached the STL file of the supposed boolean union (It doesn't seem to have worked, as I mentioned before) of the two graffiti names. Thanks for taking a look!

Attached Files:

11. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hi antiapathy,

sorry I hadn't spotted your message before. I had a look at your model and as you say, the problem were the faces that were still left on the inside where the parts intersected.

I manually removed them for you, you'll find the fixed file attached.

If you have further questions, you can also email service@shapeways.com directly. That's probably faster.

Good luck!

Bart

12. Youknowwho4eva
    Bart no file,
    Antiapathy sorry this fell of my plate. :blush: