Sandstone wall thickness

Discussion in 'Materials' started by PrettyNiceArt, Apr 27, 2015.

1. PrettyNiceArt
    PrettyNiceArt Member
    Hi all!

I'm working on a figure without arms or legs sticking out and I wonder about size and wall thickness. I just created one of 14 cm and a wall thickness of 3 mm, basically to save money. Is that going to hold if it tips over on a table?

Created one of 9 centimeter and a wall thickness of 6 millimeter (no other experiences) and that's too strong, can't break it by hand If I squeeze it. If I could it would save money!

9 centimeters = 2MM wall thickness
    14 centimeters = 3MM wall thickness
    18 centimeters = 4MM wall thickness

Does that make sense?

Greetings and thanks!

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    I doubt that tipping over on a table will be a problem, as long as it does not crash down onto a hard floor. The weakest phase will be during production, when the brittle raw model is cleaned and coated with dilute superglue. The 2mm you plan for the 9cm figurine is on the very edge of what the design guidelines on the Materials page recommend for a "supported wall", i.e. something stabilized by other features, so probably inadequate for the bulk of your model.

3. PrettyNiceArt
    PrettyNiceArt Member
    Thanks for your reply Mkroeker!

I'll keep the minimum around 2.6 MM and see what happens. And will go for 3MM on the bigger one unless someone here tells me not to? Could make an inside-support structure like a "cross" too I suppose...

It's so hard to say without knowing the material!

Cheers!

4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Materials page says 3mm minimum for "unsupported walls" so I'd not go lower than that, especially if you plan to sell the model. Half a millimeter in thickness seems unlikely to have much impact on cost unless you start creating dishware, and your 2.6mm piece may either get rejected on formal grounds, or crumble during production.