Vase WIP

Discussion in 'Materials' started by mvezza, Apr 26, 2015.

1. mvezza
    mvezza Member
    Was curious to see how a twisted lattice vase shape would turn out. I suspect this won't pass the production process on ceramics, but it's worth a try. I'm going to add an interior chamber, for holding flowers and what not. I'm also working on making a "cap" for the top with openings for flowers.

Vase 1.png
    Vase 2.png

2. mvezza
    mvezza Member
    Second adjustment to the model, now the lattice wraps around the interior chamber and there's an angled slope at the top for flowers to be put in. Truthfully, this is a micro vase - currently standing at about 4 inches high. Making it proportionately one inch taller makes the price soar to $100+

I'm going to experiment with side handles on the vase next.

Vase 3 Front.png
    Vase 3 Side.png
    Vase 3 Angle.png

3. mvezza
    mvezza Member
    Here are some additional vases I've been working on (generally between 4 - 5 inches in height) They've made it past the uploading part of Shapeways but I've yet to place orders for them; waiting on the first two porcelain pieces to finish before I send out for more.

Psykter 1.png
    Psykter 2.png
    Twisting Vase 1.png
    Twisting Vase 3.png

4. mvezza
    mvezza Member
    Cubic Stack Front.png
    Cubic Stack Angle.png

5. mvezza
    mvezza Member
    Ordered the second vase I posted in gloss red - finally went off to the printers today. Fingers crossed it doesn't hit any snafus.

Also, another W.I.P.

Future Vase 1.png

6. mvezza
    mvezza Member
    Since this thread has become my repository for Vases that I'm planning on ordering in Porcelain, here's the latest one I've worked up. For now I'm calling it Swan Vase.

Swan Vase 1.png
    Swan Vase 2.png

7. I like the blue one and the stacked squares. Good luck.

8. HI,

I really like what you have done with the vase. Can you tell me if any of these designs are printed in porcelain.
    If yes can you put pictures.

I'm designing for porcelain for the first time and some visual reference would be great to see what all is possible.

Thanks

9. panguver
    panguver Well-Known Member
  10. nigelren
    nigelren Well-Known Member
    On the subject of vases, have you ever looked at the work of Michael Eden. He has been working with 3d Printing some interesting designs in vases, although I think mostly in more traditional 3d materials.
    Have a look at http://www.michael-eden.com/ for some of his work.

11. mvezza
    mvezza Member
    I've only ordered the print of one vase so far - there's at least two I want to order next although I suspect they won't survive the printing process (which is part of the learning process.)

12. mvezza
    mvezza Member
    His works do look awesome, but I can't tell if they are porcelain or not. I've done something similar to his work; using classical silhouettes with more modern styles or finishes. The cubic vase I made - the rotating column of squat square blocks - has the silhouette of a traditional vase when viewed from front on.

His work are inspirational, though.

13. 3D3e
    3D3e Member
    I tried a 'twisted' design before (for a candle holder) but the walls were too thin for porcelain. I'm working on improving upon that. I also tried a simple vase with a Chinese symbol for love, and that passed all the tests... I'm anxiously awaiting to receive it!

The test prints at home looked promising but some are just not good for porcelain... not yet at least!

Twisted candle holder1.jpg Twisted candle holder2.jpg Twisted candle holder3.jpg Chinese vase.jpg

14. mvezza
    mvezza Member