Lattice Espresso Cup

Discussion in 'Materials' started by mvezza, Apr 16, 2015.

1. mvezza
    mvezza Member
    Lattice Espresso Cup.png

New design for an espresso cup using a lattice motif (which I love a bit too much, I think...) Ignore the dark splotchy areas you see - been having rendering issues with Blender lately.

Feedback/comments/suggestions/critiques encouraged!

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    On your design, that looks pretty sweet!

On your rendering issues, it looks like maybe overlapping geometry in those areas?

3. mvezza
    mvezza Member
    On those areas, yeah, but in particular - on a closer rendering - all the edges of the faces are creating shadows - hence why I zoomed out. You can sort of see some of it in the side view, towards the side illuminated with blue lighting. They look like cracks running across the surface. I've had this issue with Blender Cycles ever since 2.7 came out.

When it comes to printing it, the overlapping geometry hasn't presented an issue in my other designs.

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    The upload software automatically stitches overlapping geometry so that you don't get double charged for the overlapping volume.

5. mvezza
    mvezza Member
    Sloppy modeling on my part.

6. dartmeadow
    dartmeadow Active Member
    Great design, I was reading... treat it right and create loops cuts near the overlaps and build new faces/fillholes

7. mvezza
    mvezza Member
    I actually ordered it in Ceramic last week - but it got rejected. Modified the model a bit (still didn't fix those overlapping regions) since the issue was removing material from some tight areas beyond the base.

I also put it in an order on this adjusted model but I'm anticipating it to be rejected as well. My next modification/attempt will be to fill in the base and connect it to the main chamber, as well as some funky issues along the base.

Lattice Cup Front.png
    Lattice Cup Side.png
    Lattice Cup Angle.png

8. mvezza
    mvezza Member
    Rejected again, as I suspected, so I decided to redo it from the ground up. Still have some tweaks to make on this model before I upload/re-order it again.

New Lattice Front.png
    New Lattice Side.png

9. dartmeadow
    dartmeadow Active Member
    I dont think they allow ceramic orders anymore as porcelain is the new replacement and you need to sign up for it through the materials tab.
    I like your first design/first post the best, it should not take much tweaking to get a print of it.

10. mvezza
    mvezza Member
    Revision #3, closer to the original look but without the errors in geometry. I'm going to edit this version further, so that the lattice "weaves" as well as soften the harsh "bulge" in the mid section. I'm trying to think of a creative way to handle the handle of the cup.

I rendered this model with my approximation of what this would look like in one of the porcelain glazes.

Lattice Front.png
    Lattice Side.png
    Lattice Angle.png

11. mvezza
    mvezza Member
    Made some adjustments (the lattice now weave between over/under,) put my faith in deformers, and re-rendered - this time with an approximation of what Gloss Red ceramic would appear as. I might adjust the center of the cup to fill in more of the empty space between it and the outer lattice shell.

Lattice B Front.png
    Lattice B Side.png
    Lattice B Angle.png

12. mvezza
    mvezza Member
    Tweaked the center chamber and finally came upon a whimsical handle design (although it remains to be seen if it's printable.) I'm going to send this one off to be printed in ceramic, in the blue, I think.

Lattice C Front.png
    Lattice C Side.png
    Lattice C Angle.png

13. mvezza
    mvezza Member
    Cup rejected again, although I suspected the twisted handle might be an issue since it'd be hard to clean. Although I don't quite understand why the extended lattice part is "unable to be cleaned" during manufacturing since it connects to the base and main chamber.
    Lattice Cup Error.jpg

Redid the handle and re-ordered, but again I'm expecting it to get rejected.

Lattice 5 Side.png
    Lattice 5 Angle.png

14. mvezza
    mvezza Member
    This last adjusted model made it past inspection and appears to be on it's way in production :) I'll post photos of when it arrives in about a month.

15. Andrewsimonthomas
    Andrewsimonthomas Well-Known Member
    Yay, I'm glad you've been so diligent with the redesigns, this is such a cool idea.

We're casting it now, so fingers crossed it comes out!

Also the overlapping faces shouldn't make a big difference because netfabb will fix them, if you have Zbrush you could Dynamesh them them and smooth the spot out as well.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  16. mvezza
    mvezza Member
    Thank you! I'm excited for it to come in and I'm hoping it works fine for my espresso machine :) How long does the casting/glazing process usually take?

17. mvezza
    mvezza Member
    Darn. Didn't survive the casting process. Altered the handle again, reupload, and re-ordered. Fingers crossed on this one.

Hilariously, I suppose, my other cup hasn't failed and I though the handle on that one would be more of a challenge.

18. mvezza
    mvezza Member
    Here's the adjustment as of 5/12/2015:

Lattice Adj May 12 2015.png

Here's to hoping this handle holds.

19. mvezza
    mvezza Member
    Latest one has been sent off to the printers... now to wait. Hopefully it'll make it past the casting process this time! Attached the rejection picture/details.

I was surprised it was the handle that didn't make the casting process - I really thought it would be the lattice details.

ol1978293-Rejection 109.JPG

20. JoyComplex
    JoyComplex Active Member
    Have you thought of just getting rid of the handle? I mean, this design:

[​IMG]

Already looks really cool and the weave dissipates the heat so you should be able to pick it up no problem. You might have to widen the weave but I think it would be cool without the handle.