What brands of primer/paint are good for painting on plastic

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by 717018_deleted, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Hey everyone,

Looking for specific brands from an art store of primer/paint to get.

I'm painting miniatures - and don't want to lose detail on the heads with a thick coat.

And printing on the "white strong & flexible plastic" from shapeways.

Does anyone have recommendation on what Primers (preferably white),

And what type/brands of paint I should use.

THANKS!

2. I'm getting good results with Tamiya on WSF.

3. shawn_halayka
    shawn_halayka Well-Known Member
    I used to use Gesso for priming canvas for work with acrylic and oil paint.; Gesso might work for priming the models.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  4. eltejano
    eltejano Member
    I tried 1Shot paint with hardener. It dries incredibly hard and strong and since the surface is porous, the paint adhere very well it does not flake. I painted a certain tool I had printed out of hard flexible plastic and it has been resilient for a few months. I throw it in my back back, toss it around with little care and this stuff has been fairly tough.

I tried this because I had plenty of it on hand. I assume any paint that takes some kind of hardener would work fairly well. Paints that use hardeners work like 2 part epoxy and even concrete. It doesnt count on evaporation to dry the paint but a chemical reaction that turns the liquid into a solid creating a much stronger finish than more common cheaper paints. But yo do need a lot of ventilation because these hardeners typically contain isocyanates that are highly carcinogenic.

Usually easy to handle cheaper paints will give you a lesser finish. When it comes to painting, a high quality finish comes at a higher cost, whether you are painting a car, a house or a portrait on canvas.

I am new to all this but have a fair amount of experience with paints of all kinds. I will be experimenting on different coatings and will post results form time to time.