Need help editing a WRL file with jpg texture -- it can't be processed and I don't know why..

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 679686_deleted, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Hi everyone, I have a WRL file with a jpg texture--they constitute a scan of my friend's body and were handed to me by a company who used it to print a full-color sandstone figurine (15cm) high.
    I've been trying to upload it onto here but it can't be processed by the website and I have no clue how to edit those things or what it is that could be wrong with it.

Happy to pay someone to help me out. Get in touch please!
    thanks..
    -matt

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Some common problems are:
    - additional files, or internal folder structure in the zip archive - the zip should contain just the wrl and jpg files
    - ImageTexture entry for the jpg (in the wrl, which is readable text) contains a folder name and/or drive letter
    - ImageTexture entry missing from the wrl file, so texture does not get used at all (unlikely in your case)

3. thanks for the tip! I didn't realize I had to have it as a .zip

the jpg path was wrong in the wrl file and I fixed it, zipped the wrl together with the jpg and now when I upload the zip, it tells me the following, which I guess means the size of my model needs to be defined in a 3D program? I'm not sure how to do this... is this something I could do myself with meshlab for example or do I need pro help? again, would be ok with paying someone to help if someone is willing and able..

"We're unable to process this file. Check your file for errors and click 'Update File' to upload a new version.
    Automatic rescale failed. Model is not within acceptable bounds in any unit. When rescaling to units in:
    - millimeter, model is 1.05296 x 3.32888 x 0.94449 m
    - inch, model is 26.74522 x 84.55342 x 23.98999 m
    - meter, model is 1052.96143 x 3328.875 x 944.48767 m"

4. update:

I managed to export the model as STL from meshlab and to do the "automatic repair" thing in Netfabb. I think I might have even been able to scale it to the proportions I want.
    now I'm not sure how to export this thing as something other than a netfabb project file, which is useless. and the texture.

if somebody has 15 minutes to clean up this mess please get in touch! thanks!

5. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    After you do all the fixes, right click the model and select "Export".. from there you have several export format options.

6. awesome that worked.. sorry to be such a newbie but now that i have a repaired stl file—how to i put it back in wrl form so it can be associated with its texture jpg again?

i think that would be the last step right?

i wonder if there's a way to just dump it back into meshlab?

7. Shapeways will work with either WRL or X3D formats for color.

I think the upload process is the same.

You can also convert to X3D using Netfabb (basic).

Good luck!