Marilyn Monroe & Tamara Lempicka's "Andromeda" WIP

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by AM15, Mar 2, 2015.

1. AM15
    AM15 Member
    If I ever find out how to upload models with texture, this is what I could upload:

Marilyn Monroe Madame Tussaud's wax figure-like head.
    Shapew1.jpg

Tamara Lempicka's 1920's classic painting "Andromeda" in 3d
    2015-03-02_18h49_36.png

What dimesions for a 3d print do you think would be good?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I have a picture of Marilyn in black and white! I love it. Is that zBrush? We have a pretty sizeable group of zbrush users that could help you get it uploaded with color.

3. AM15
    AM15 Member
    Thank you! Yes, ZBrush is one of the programs I use along with others. I've been able to figure out something with textures, seems now it will work (after maybe another week of trying to fix files). I also did upload a more coarse version with textures before somehow. I think if Marilyn head model will be lifesize (about 47 cm) it could be worth selling a version made for colored plastic printing (thin walls, saves material). So, if walls of a mask-life model in colored plastic are about 1-3 mm thick (almost like a very thick balloon), will it deform or crack? If you help, that'll be appreciated!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I have not played with full color plastic, but from what I've seen, the bigger you go the thicker you need to go to prevent warping. I'd do full color sandstone and clear coat over top to give it a smooth finish and a nice shine.

5. AM15
    AM15 Member
    I have one thing not working: I made the mask like model with thin walls, so it saves printing material used and money, but the site closes the gaps on half of the mask and I think it recognizes it as a big solid model and makes the price very high.
    Also I managed to upload a model with a texture few times, but now it doesn't work again.

6. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Closing of gaps could mean that there are holes on the rim of the gaps that shapeways' software tries to close. Which file format are you using ? If x3d,
    netfabb studio basic should be able to read it and mark any problems.

7. AM15
    AM15 Member
    Thank you! I will try netfabb.

8. AM15
    AM15 Member
    Finally, I have uploaded a 9cm tall version of Marilyn Monroe. Hope it will print. Color Sandstone price is $49. I will upload also a 19cm tall version and a 32cm 1:1 lifesize Madame Tussaud wax figure - style bust.

9. AM15
    AM15 Member
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015