will my design print in Grey robust?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 40165_deleted, May 10, 2010.

1. 40165_deleted
    40165_deleted Member
    Hi,

I uploaded some images from my model, i want to print it in gray robust. Is this material suitable for my design?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you very much

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Your sizes and clearances all appear to be sufficient for the material. What's the purpose of the device though? It appears to be a pulley wheel? don't know if I'd use gray robust for a pulley wheel, unless just for show.

3. 40165_deleted
    40165_deleted Member
    Yes its a pulley wheel. There will be some force on it.
    I choose grey robust because of its strength. Whats your suggestion?

Tnx

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I haven't tested the strength of gray robust myself, but if I were making a piece that I would actually be using, I'd go with stainless.

5. rawkstar320
    rawkstar320 Member
    Grey Robust should be strong enough. Ive used it for sprockets, motor mounts, and grippers on a robot. Everything except the printed parts broke in the end.

What is going in the pulley? 3mm Dia isnt very big, so you should be fine with the strength of GR. Just be sure that if it is a rubber band or something, that you sand and smooth the part before you start using it. Sometimes the GR can have slightly sharper edges depending on how it was printed.

Good Luck

6. 40165_deleted
    40165_deleted Member
    Ok thanks,

I'll go for Grey Robust, pleased to hear you can sand it too!

7. rawkstar320
    rawkstar320 Member
    yeah, its just ABS plastic. Tough, durable, sandable plastic.

It prints in "wires" so if you look at the materials page, it looks a little bit rough.

8. 40165_deleted
    40165_deleted Member
    Are you really sure about the dimensions?

9. rawkstar320
    rawkstar320 Member
    what is the thickness of the pulley? The only place i see a possible issue is the area between the side of the pulley, and the "track" It looks like its easily over 1mm, but if its not, i would recommenced you make it at least a little thicker.

If you do change it, i would probably recommend that you make that distance at least 2mm. This would ensure that it prints correctly.

Otherwise, it looks fine to me...