I cant upload

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by SIRCRONE, Jan 25, 2015.

1. SIRCRONE
    SIRCRONE Member
    I try to just upload and STL file.

but after upload happens it goes to:

shapeways.com/create

Model doesn't upload or anything?

I tried in Chrome and Firefox

2. DoctorOctoroc
    DoctorOctoroc Well-Known Member
    What software are you using to create the model and what format are you uploading? These may be relevant to the problem and help the support team zero in on the issue.

3. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Works for me (at least with a smallish stl file that I keep around for this purpose). Make sure that your file is smaller than 64mb (zip it if necessary) and does not contain more than about 1 million triangles.

4. DoctorOctoroc
    DoctorOctoroc Well-Known Member
    Disregard my previous post, I failed to see that you did mention that it was an STL file.

Out of curiosity though, I attempted to upload a file I know to be over a million polygons and was brought to this link:

https://www.shapeways.com/upload

When it brought me there, I saw an error message, so I copied and pasted the URL into a new window and it redirected me to https://www.shapeways.com/create. If you try clicking that '/upload' link above, it will also redirect you to the same '/create' page. It's possible that your browser automatically refreshed the page during the upload, or when it failed, and you were redirected as a result.

On a side note not entirely unrelated, when I tried to upload it again so I could screen grab the error message, the model successfully uploaded lol. I guess if you're persistent enough, it ignores the 1 million polygon limit. This may be another bug...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  5. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    I think a staff member wrote recently in some other thread that the internal limit had been raised to 1.5 million - also note that increased complexity may mean increased processing time, i.e. the initial checking is more likely to time out, and also any automatic fixes may increase the triangle count beyond the limit if you are unlucky. This is why I wrote "about 1million" triangles.