Material for colored sphere?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 496784_deleted, Jan 24, 2015.

1. 496784_deleted
    496784_deleted Well-Known Member
    I wonder what material I should choose for color printing a solid sphere of 5 cm diameter.

My observations:[list type=square][*]Full color plastics: Yes.
    [*]Full color sandstone: No, because the sphere would fail the sandcastle test.[/list]
    Am I right?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    The various eggs and planets in the Miniatures/Figurines category of the shops would seem to disagree :)

3. draw
    draw Well-Known Member
    This thing prints successfully in color sandstone. However it has thin walls a bit thicker than minimum (as I recall) so it can be a teeny bit warped as if it was placed on its side before it was completely hardened or something. I think as you made a solid sphere or with thicker walls it would remain more spherical. Overall size may also be a factor.

[​IMG]

If the color plastic were offered for everyone I'd probably stick with that, although the colors are a bit better with the sandstone.

4. 496784_deleted
    496784_deleted Well-Known Member
    Thanks for the example. Yes, I want to print solid. In the meantime I was made aware that @chronopsis2 has already done what I want to do: A sphere with a 360° panorama on it. It's product number Z69XY6HCN in the shop: Villa Doria Pamphili panorama sphere (2")

One could do fun things with that, for example create a stand that allows spinning the sphere, like a globe. OTOH what could be a problem when offering models for sale: "When a Full Color Plastic product is first opened, it may have a strong plasticy smell [...]" (source: material info)

5. It sounds like you are looking to create a Scandy Sphere. You should check out Scandy.co. They 3D print 360° images in full color just like you are looking for.

Attached Files: