Colored multi objects

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Youknowwho4eva, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Today I uploaded a couple of colored objects, and had issues when I tried to upload a vrml that had 2 objects. Has anyone uploaded a colored vrml with multiple objects? Especially one made with blender?

2. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    Not with blender but I succeeded in uploading a color multi-shell :
    Color gyroids
    I've ordered it, today got an email : it is in production.
    Did not get an email wall too thin, so far so good ;)
    Still no idea what will happen, if parts will fuse or what, but I couldn't resist to try :)

I did have a lot of trouble to upload variants and other color models, got emails : your model could not be validated.

No idea why, the work flow was the same every time, file structures looked identical. Did not find the magic clue here yet..

3. Youknowwho4eva
    I've seen your model, is it just colors, or is there an image associated to the model? I'm guessing that would require multiple maps which I believe is not accepted by shapeways as of yet. Oh well mine is 2 pieces for now.

4. virtox
    It uses one single texture map, I believe shapeways does not support any other coloring method ?
    I just created one texture jpg with two textures beside each other.
    Each element has its own UV coordinates projected, one constrained to the left part, one to the right. This should be possible for any combination of objects and textures.

It was very difficult to get a decent mapping for this model, so the bottom of the cube shows some pinching, which is not necessarily ugly in this model.

5. Youknowwho4eva
    You can use default colors. Such as with my main modeling software, image association isn't supported, but If I make a part green it will be green when imported to shapeways.

6. virtox
    Ok, good to know !

Would love the ability of vertex coloring though, would allow for some very nice mathematically colored models. Tried it, but got message : texture map not found.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  7. Youknowwho4eva
    What software do you use Virtox? and do you think you could send me a copy of your gyroids vrml? I promise not to use it for other than trying to figure out how to do such a thing with Blender.

8. WelshDesigns
    WelshDesigns Member
    I know the ZPrint color printers will allow multi-textures on files. I know .wrl and .3ds will export multi-textures and print just fine. It would be odd for SW not to allow it for some other reason but I haven't uploaded multi-texture files. (I can, if someone needs that tested). Are you stuck on not being able to get your model to one texture, or stuck on being able to use textures at all with Blender. I'm a Max guy, and don't know Blender.

9. Youknowwho4eva
    I've figured out how to do it with the software I build with (KeyCreator) and then texturing in Blender. Working on a 4 piece model right now.

10. artur83
    artur83 Member
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  11. virtox
    I could have sworn that at the beginning only single maps were supported ?
    Well.. good to know multiple textures are supported.

I also tried the vertex coloring in the beginning, but got an error that no texture map could be found?

Cheers,

Stijn

12. rawkstar320
    rawkstar320 Member
    so, im confused...whats the workaround for multi textures in meshlab? it just says to use VRML, do you need to know the actual code......or.....?

I suppose i should just learn to use blender...

13. Youknowwho4eva
  14. virtox
    I ran some tests, but I have not yet succeeded in uploading a color model with vertex coloring ?

That is to say, it uploads, "has color" checked.
    I get no errors, but the object turns out grey in the preview render:
    https://www.shapeways.com/model/116197/vertex_color_candle.ht ml

In meshlab it looks ok. Any thoughts ?

Any progress in fixing the 3d-view smoothing issues ?
    And could you add color support int the 3d-view ?

15. Youknowwho4eva
    I'm not sure what you mean by vertex coloring, do you mean just a solid model color?

16. virtox
    Coloring by vertex means, that for each vertex coordinate, the color is stored in the vrml file.

So all the corners using that vertex, get that color.
    And each triangle can thus have a different color for each corner.
    It should then interpolate the color across the faces.

Makes for some nice blobby 3d-textures.

17. Youknowwho4eva
    Ah yes, I know my software doesn't export that information if it is exportable. Now if I set the solid to a color, that goes through, but not individual vertex's. I haven't tried bursting into surfaces and coloring that way, but I think it would show up as not a solid, and not be uploadable.

18. ChrisWilmer
    ChrisWilmer Member
    I use Blender and I've uploaded a few multi-object VRML files with different colors. I didn't have any problems.

Maybe I'm missing something about this discussion though.

19. WelshDesigns
    WelshDesigns Member
    Well, this might actually be possible. I just created a simple cube and vertex colored a few corners. I was able to export this in the .wrl format, making sure the "vertex colors" flag was checked upon export. I then imported it into the color printer software and it shows the vert colors shaded just like max does. I've never seen vertex colored stuff printed in color, so I don't know if it works, but the software show it correctly so that's promising. I tried exporting in .3ds and it doesn't seem to work. (Max is on the left, ZPrint on the right)

vertexColoring.jpg

20. Youknowwho4eva
    But shapeways says gray. I'm guessing it's a possible future improvement in the interpretation of the format?