Nebwie needs help: simple extrusion doesn not work!

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 17333_deleted, Mar 19, 2010.

1. 17333_deleted
    17333_deleted Member
    Hello,

have drawn a simple path in inkscape and extruded it with blender, which was not really a problem.
    After that I exported the model into x3d and uploaded it to shapeways.
    Then I received a mail that said that upload was successful, although something had to be fixed. But when you take a close look at the rendering they have done you can see that the model has some strange edges etc.
    See here: https://www.shapeways.com/model/103251/tesselating_lizard.htm l

Trying to let the model print out by the shapeways team I received a email where they told me that the model has some too small dimensions.
    But this just cannot be true since the model is really not very fancy, and there are no small dimensions ...

Maybe someone can give me some advice or help me to track down the error ?

I am really sorry that I have to bother you with this, but since I have spend almost two days with this I am close to give up ... :(

thanks,
    quirxi

Attached Files:

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    When I try to open your x3d I get an error, and you blend file wont export anything... The other file I don't know what it is.

If you can put up a dxf of the outline, I'll gladly extrude and export it for you.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  3. 17333_deleted
    17333_deleted Member
    Hello,

thank you very much for your help !
    I have tried to generate a reasonable dxf file from that path, which was not easy at all ...
    I hope you can open the attached files ?

thanks,
    quirxi

Attached Files:

4. GHP
    GHP Member
    Your svg file appears to contain 7 different curves, 5 of them giving parts of the outline of the lizard, one giving the filled outline of the lizard, and one stray. I suggest that you import these into Blender as separate objects and select and extrude just the filled outline. You will then need to convert your extruded curve into a mesh, using Alt-C. Don't export it as an X3D file - Blender doesn't seem to be able to save these correctly. I would suggest using STL with millimetres or inches as the units instead of VRML, unless you plan to import this as a colored object for the full-color sandstone. Shapeways (and Blender) can sometimes have difficulties with objects scaled in metres because of the very small numbers used.

5. 17333_deleted
    17333_deleted Member
    Hello,

thanks for the reply!
    The problem is the way how these tesselating things are constructed,
    They are a combination of different curves where one curve can be the outside in one part of the drawing and the inside in another part of the drawing.
    But I have tried to group these together which did look ok in inkscape ?
    Since blender did not recognize the inside and the outside properly I had to fill the drawing, which resulted in another outline, but helped blender to construct a closed shape. Where did you see the stray curve ? I could not see it, altough it has happened that in blender once such a curve appeared, which was not visible in inkscape.

Thanks for you help, I will try to import the shape as single curves into blender now and try to combine it in there.

thanks,
    quirxi

6. 17333_deleted
    17333_deleted Member
    Hey,

thanks all for your help - I think have solved the problem now.
    Removing some of the single curves and exporting them to stl seems to do the job.
    At least I hope so since I have not printed them out yet :)

thanks and regards,
    quirxi