The new generation of Shell Dice is born

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by Magic, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Hi there,

I am currently working on a new generation of Shell Dice.
    The Shell Dice are Truncated Sphere dice for which no number is located on faces and thus where faces can be removed by making them hollow (keeping only the rounded part of the shell). There particularly well suited for metal (sturdy shape, affordable price, good weight). The D4 in particular is really popular.
    When I initially designed them, I begun with the D4, then the D6, the D8 and the D3, but while doing the D12 I felt the need to change a little bit the design to make the edges rounded (more consistent shapes). That's how the second generation was born.
    I also did a D3 Fudge (asked by a customer) and I still need to work on the D20: I have some ideas for it, but I am not totally convinced yet.
    Here is the complete collection (to date):
    - D3 Shell dice - Gen 2
    - D3 Fudge Shell dice - Gen 2
    - D4 Shell dice - Gen 2
    - D6 Shell dice - Gen 2
    - D8 Shell dice - Gen 2
    - D12 Shell dice - Gen 2
    And two pictures (D4 and D12):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Magic

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  2. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Hi there,

I am still trying to find a convincing design for a D20 Shell Die, but, in the meantime, I decided to celebrate Spring and Shell Dice with a special rebate.
    So for a limited period, I offer a Spring Discount for the entire generation 2 of the Shell Dice:
    - D3 Shell dice - Gen 2
    - D3 Fudge Shell dice - Gen 2
    - D4 Shell dice - Gen 2
    - D6 Shell dice - Gen 2
    - D8 Shell dice - Gen 2
    - D12 Shell dice - Gen 2

30% off on Strong & Flexible Plastic:
    - $6.99 instead of $9.99 for any of those dice
    16%, 20% or 25% on Steel:
    - $14.90 instead of $19.90, for example of D3, D4 or D8 in Bronze Steel
    - $19.90 instead of 24.90, for example of D3, D4 or D8 in Nickel Steel
    - $24.90 instead of $29.90 for example of D6 or D12 in Gold Steel

This is a good opportunity to try these new designs!
    Enjoy!

IMG_7206.JPG
    IMG_7197.JPG
    IMG_7207.JPG
    IMG_7209.JPG
    IMG_7196.JPG
    moderator edit: testing embedded links

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2015
  3. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    As the links were broken (they are fixed now), I will maintain the discount period until the end of this month. Do not wait too long....
    ;-)

4. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
    Can you try another font ? Looks a bit washed on the metal one ? Maybe add +0.2 mm to the engraving ?!

5. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Actually, it is not a matter of depth (all fonts are 0.7mm depth in all my dice) but a matter of size of font.
    I would rather advice to ink the numbers (with a permanent marker: just remove any excess with alcohol).
    Here is the result on the old generation D8 (in regular steel and with a slightly different font I think):
    D8Shell.JPG