Sprue for multiple parts [SolidWorks Help]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by machinationstudio, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Hi,

I have a print I want to make that has many multiple parts, and with the current charges of $1.50 for each separate part, I want to have sprues that join multiple parts together.

I modelled my parts in SolidWorks and have placed all the parts together in the same Assembly file, and have created seperate sprue parts that join my desired print parts. However, when I upload it to Shapeway, it still recognizes the file as multiple individual parts.

Is there anything I can do so my file gets recognized as less seperate parts?

Thanks.

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Make sure that the sprue is actually touching or slightly intersecting the pieces - if shapeways still counts them as separate parts, there must be a minuscule gap left at the interfaces. Assuming STL format, try checking your file with netfabb studio basic (freeware from netfabb.com) or run it through the netfabb cloud service (hosted on windows azure nowadays, so needs a microsoft acount, but otherwise still free as far as I know)

3. Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply. The sprue parts are intersecting the desired print parts quite significantly in my assembly file.

I am not familiar with netfabb, I have the basic version downloaded. What am I looking for in the programme to indicate whether the parts are separate or not?

4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Run the "Standard analysis" from the "Extras" menu (or start the "Repair" - also visible as a red cross on the toolbar), it should tell you the number of separate shells. Possibly the problem is caused by invalid geometry (e.g. coincident or misoriented faces) that shapeways' automated software tries to "fix" by removing the offending area of your model.

5. Did you merge the assembly you made? Without merging you will allways get separate STL files for each part. I only have the german language solidworks, so it´s a little bit difficult to explain it in english. But merging is easy, please Google yourself "merging" and "solidworks"

6. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
  7. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member

Too late. :D

That shows you how well I read stuff! HAHA :D

8. Thanks for your tip.

I found this video after searching in the direction you've prompted and I think I have found the solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fOVVacUUGQ

For some strange reason, even using the netfabb cloud tool to turn it into one part, Shapeway still recognizes it as multiple parts. So I think having them as combined solid bodies should be the only way to get it working with the Shapeway website. Thanks.

I'll have to try this when I have more time.

9. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    That likely means you have a gap between the parts.
    Even if it's .001 mm - it's still a gap.

If you'd like, PM the file to me and I'll take a look.

10. Roolz
    Roolz Well-Known Member
    Yep, I'm afraid combining them is the only safe way. Even when your parts-sprue are overlapping.
    When doing a direct stl export, sometimes Shapeways auto-merges, sometimes not.

One (relatively quick) method I use (not with Solidwords but it should work as well):
    - create your solidworks assembly, with parts and sprue
    - export all in .igs
    - re-import the .igs as a single[/U ] part. Important : make sure your igs import parameters are set so the joining surfaces are stitched, holes closed, and so on (this might require some trial and error before finding the correct .igs import settings)
    - you get a single solidworks part file
    - export this part in .stl
    - check the .stl in netfab

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014