Canadian Customs Fees raising its ugly head again.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lensman, Nov 21, 2014.

1. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Nothing much that Shapeways can do about this, unfortunately, but posting this as a warning to Canadian customers, especially if you re-sell like I do.

On my last two silver purchases from Shapeways I have been hit with customs fees collected by the post office when I pick up the package. Can't remember how much the first order was - somewhere around $100 but this last one was $88 and I got charged $22.89 Customs fees. Not sure what's changed but can only assume that border services and post office have now paid attention to so many boxes coming across with the Shapeways name on them...

Any other Canadian customers experienced this lately?

2. bellasu
    bellasu Member
    I had this too last week. Paid an extra 17$ on a 60$ order. Usually I just pickup across the border but decided to try Canada shipping to see how bad it is.

I can get my parts 1 week faster and no customs if I just cross the border to pickup and will continue to do so.

3. lensman
    I've been really happy with getting items through the post for the last year+ now. I sincerely hope this isn't going to be a trend.

4. CybranKNight
    CybranKNight Well-Known Member
    I didn't experience this on my last package in November, I should have another one coming sometime in December hopefully so I'll see what happens to that one.

5. lensman
    Thanks, if anyone does post their findings here I think it will help to note the order value and material. I have a feeling that this MAY just be affecting precious metals.... which I unfortunately order a lot of.

6. lensman
    What was the model material in the package?

7. bellasu
    bellasu Member
    It was strong and flexible plastic.

8. lensman
    Sorry to hear that. I'm thinking my first guess was correct; they recognize the Shapeways boxes now and are paying more attention.

9. my goodness, charged 26% on the imported items. Get hurt!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  10. lensman
    Yes, it used to be UPS that was "making love to us" and now it seems Canada Post and Revenue Canada want a piece of the action.

11. CybranKNight
    CybranKNight Well-Known Member
    So my Order is getting shipped out(presumably today but you never know) so I should be getting it within the next couple of weeks and then I'll see if I get dinged too. I didn't on my last order which was about 75$.

It might even be a case of it depending where it goes through the border maybe? I dunno honestly.

Mike

12. lensman
    You could well be right. Let us know.

13. sbhunterca
    sbhunterca Well-Known Member
    My last two orders got held at Canada Customs for 6 and 7 days respectively, and came with Harmonized Sales Tax. Paying the tax doesn't bother me- the government wants their pound of flesh, and since these are model railroad parts they are duty free.

What really irks me is that it takes Customs a full week to calculate the tax on a small parcel, when I am anxiously waiting to see how my latest print turned out. No matter how fast USPS and Canada Post might do their part, Customs stops them dead in their tracks.

Gotta love Customs!

Steve Hunter

14. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    Oh wow!

Interesting...let me investigate and see if there is anything we can do.

We may not be able to if USPS changed something, but it's worth a look!

Thanks for flagging guys!

Natalia

15. ProjectMobius
    ProjectMobius Well-Known Member
    I really hope not, my previous two orders got here without me paying for custom (last order got here around end of OCT). This is scaring me :(

Updated: my orders were around $35 (not including shipping)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  16. sbhunterca
    Well, we really do need to build the expectation of paying the appropriate taxes (HST or GST and PST), plus duty if applicable when we bring stuff across the border. If our packages get charged with the appropriate taxes/ duties, that shouldn't be a huge deal. It's the law and we should expect to pay.

If a package slips through without having those added costs, that's great, it's a bonus!

As I mentioned above, the time factor is the biggest annoyance for me, but that's something totally out of the control of Shapeways, USPS, or Canada Post. Through the tracking service on both postal services (USPS seems to report in a more timely fashion) we can see exactly how long Customs has the shipments captive.

I seriously doubt Canada Customs gives a hoot that they're annoying people or would change their procedures based on complaints- they aren't exactly a service- oriented organization.

Steve Hunter

17. lensman
    Just out of curiosity has Shapeways changed anything at your end with regards to prepping for shipping?

18. lensman
    If I were just a customer I wouldn't have a problem with that sentiment. But as a re-seller it becomes problematic. If you don't know what your costs are it it hard to price your goods; overprice to allow for customs and you risk losing a sale, price your items not allowing for customs and now you've seriously cut into your profits.

19. sbhunterca
    If I were just a customer I wouldn't have a problem with that sentiment. But as a re-seller it becomes problematic. If you don't know what your costs are it it hard to price your goods; overprice to allow for customs and you risk losing a sale, price your items not allowing for customs and now you've seriously cut into your profits.

____________________________________________________________ __________________________

I can't agree with this. Paying applicable taxes and duty is the law, and both the the seller and customer must accept it and plan accordingly. Some customers may win the Customs lottery and get a bargain but some won't.

If you are going to lower your margin to offset some of the cost so be it, but you need to base that decision on having taxes and duties paid. To do otherwise is just gambling that the law will not be applied to your goods.

And, you need to ensure that by doing so you are not under-valuing your time and effort. You are probably better off ignoring those cheapskates that whine about paying duty and taxes, than to cater to their whims. Lose a few sales, or undercut yourself on many?

Still don't like it? Start discussing it with your Member of Parliament.

Steve Hunter

20. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    Hey guys,

So after some digging, unfortunately, this is not a new thing.

It just reflects the sad reality that that every package is subject to duty, and some get through without it. So your packages may have been getting "through", but now they are being stopped. Luck of the draw, as others have expressed.

So to clarify, nothing has changed on our end.

Thanks
    Natalia