Thingiverse/gianteye's Han Solo in Carbon...Alumide?

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by 27618_deleted, Mar 9, 2010.

1. 27618_deleted
    27618_deleted Member
    I know, cross-posting is bad, but I would like to print
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1274
    as long as the alumide material is still available.... But I get an manifold error and I am stuck with a netbook and sketchup.
    Can anyone help? I'dd like to either print it small or a bit larger and hallow.

2. 33749_deleted
    33749_deleted Member
    It was actually a really interesting testcase for us :) that model is really really messy.

Anyway, our local hero's at customer support got it fixed, so here you go. The attached model should be uploadable and printable.

I'm afraid they just made it printable (very busy lot of people), not scaled it or made hollow. But at least that's something. But perhaps some other forum denizen would like to do his good deed for the day.

Attached Files:

3. 33749_deleted
    33749_deleted Member
    Oh, just a FYI, I just got it fixed for you and wasn't really thinking about possible intellectual privacy and such. (not a lawyer, not the first thing I think about :) )

So umm, yeah. That might be something else that could go wrong when you request it to be printed. To be honest I'm a bit unsure how that works anyway.

4. 27618_deleted
    27618_deleted Member
    Thank you, once, again, Shapeways rocks my socks :)
    As the stuff on Thingiverse is usualy with a CC license, and the model is not a copy of some action figure but rather "fan art" that could be anyone captured in a block, I think it is on the safe side compared to logos etc-
    again, thank you very much. I'll look into hollowing it or just printing it smaller. After I managed to get the original mess into Sketchup (poor me) I tried to fix it, but with sketchup it is nearly impossible.
    Good thing I checked my thread again, I was allready starting to remodel it, heh.

5. 21872_deleted
    21872_deleted Member
    I tried taking the repaired file from netfabbs into Magics and I think the software almost had a panic attack. I'm able to get a clean mesh for the most part but somewhere in there theres a unopened surface when I try and repair the overlapping and intersecting triangles that it doesnt agree with for hollowing. sorry dude :(

6. 27618_deleted
    27618_deleted Member
    Thanks akeno :)
    Yeah, the original model is pretty shaggy.
    I was wondering, with all the physic engines and such, would'nt it be possible to simulate a fluid or "clay" to press the model into, to create a rough but manifold object from chaotic models like this? :)

Converting it from stl to dae or others via Meshlab and exporting it from sketchup again results in manifold problems once again, so
    I am now trying to take it appart bit by bit, but in sketchup even fixing one of the hands seems to be nearly impossible. So many intersecting parts... It is plain insane.

Printing it solid would be possible only as tiny item, otherwise it is rather expensive and not really an option :(

7. 27618_deleted
    27618_deleted Member
    Well, one step back, two steps forward.
    In order to hollow out the back I am attacking it bit by bit, otherwise it would be just too tiny to print with a reasonable price.

I cleaned and repaired Han's hand and head (lots of dentist work, and removed the eyelashes along with parts of the eyes ;) ) and remodeled some parts.

[​IMG]http://www.nottoxic.com/wapcc/ae/aqua/hanfixing32.jpg

The torso is killing me though.
    I split the body it in two parts, and even the "legs" have so many twists, holes and other errors... Could not get it completely error free, and I did not even fix the belt yet.
    And the upper body is at least just as bad, even though I remodeled the the collar (in Sketchup, with my netbook and a trackpad only, my fingers are going numb) there are so many errors left I am considering tracing/remodeling the body in a lofi version just to get everything done untill the alumide deadline :(
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am affraid I will be unable to finish my other models as well in time, darn.

8. 21872_deleted
    21872_deleted Member
    hey dude I sent you a PM check it out

9. 27618_deleted
    27618_deleted Member
    I am finished with the hollow version;
    Not even $13 now (1,3x10,2x4.4).
    [​IMG]http://www.nottoxic.com/wapcc/ae/aqua/HanDone.png
    As I need to get it done (got some other alumide projects as well which need to get printed untill the deadline) I was unable to fix all manifold problems (but Mesh Medic is able to fix them), so a few double walls and intersecting parts remain.
    The Body and the Box are completely new in order to fix solve the problems, as the model was a mess. I hope at that scale it will look allright with the simpler body...

Can anyone in here give me a hand on checking if it really is printable? (minimum wall thickness issues?)

http://www.nottoxic.com/wapcc/ae/aqua/HanDone.skp

http://www.nottoxic.com/wapcc/ae/aqua/HanDone.dae

Thanks!

10. robert
    robert Member
    Hey Schorhr,

I checked your model if it is printable.

It see no problems except for the fingers. They are right on the edge of 0.7mm. They will print fine but packaging and shipping could be an issue. But it is really a borderline case.

If you make your model 20% bigger than there is definitely no issue.

Cheers!

Robert

11. 27618_deleted
    27618_deleted Member
    Thank you very much Robert!

So the worse case would be that they break off- I might resize the whole or edit the Hands... or buy some glue :)