Show a pic of object after production

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by 627771_deleted, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Hi,

I'd like to suggest that the order status page shows a pic of object after production, before shipping, for those of us a bit anxious to see the result before it arrives!

Thanks!
    -Mark

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Obviously that would require them to take a reasonably clear picture of every model before it goes through packaging. Not sure how many parts they handle on a regular workday, but I doubt it would be feasible. (Watch the videos of the various printing processes and/or the factory tour in shapeways' youtube channel to get an idea of what goes on behind the scenes - your model will usually be just one of fifty or more parts in one of the many printers running in parallel)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  3. ProjectMobius
    ProjectMobius Well-Known Member
    In my opinion its not going to be feasible without adding more labor cost to your models. Given the recent price change for WSF and Steel along with multi part models being charged per part for labor, I don't think anyone wants another spike in price.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  4. SYMBOLICA
    SYMBOLICA Member
    I absolutely agree, giving more labor gives more costs, photography, needs a good photo-shooting environment, no dust ,flashes etc, post production then, i think Shapeways models are quite accurate in their renders.

5. DBTops
    DBTops Well-Known Member
    It's a cool thought from the customers perspective, but it certainly adds a lot of work for shapeways to be expected to photograph every model and send it to the individual. Sounds like too much work for shapeways to do.

An idea that might make this a little more realistic is an option for photo confirmation that you add to your order, $2 extra charge or something for a detailed preview of your print via email before shipping. This way you can have the assurance with your 1st order and then save money and labor on the 2nd and 3rd print. It also poses a good option for shapeways to gain from the extra labor. If the photos where a professional level, they would wind up represting the items in shops all over shapeways, which is going to lead to more trust from new customers.

6. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Yes... and they'd charge for it.

I'd prefer Shapeways to honour what they said they would do in August 2012.

Paul

7. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    A couple of years since... could you specify what was said then?